Extended Warranty for my 2005 Altima

Just purchases a 2005 Altima 4 Dr 3.5 SL Sedan with 32,000 miles. Dealer had put new tires on it. The front and rear pads and rotors appear newly replaced as well. Car is immaculate. Paid $16,575.

Wondering if I made a good deal?

Also wondering if I should consider the Toyota Extended Warranty that the dealer is pushing on me. 7yr/75,000, 0% deductible and dealer wants me to pay him $1100 for it. The factory 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper factory warranty is just about over.

Can't really decide if paying for the extended warranty is a good gamble or not. Or can I "deal" with the dealer to get a better price?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Reply to
Michael R. Erb

Extended Warranties on used vehicles is usually not a bad idea, depending on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. But 1100 sounds a little too high, and you may want to shop dealers some, possibly taking it to a Nissan shop and paying for inspection and Certification, which has a better warranty with a similar or lower cost.

Bajori

I called a local Nissan Dealer and asked them about this. They told me it would cost $349 to have the car "Certified" and of course with no guarantee that it would certify. And then he said his "cost" for the warranty was about $600 and that he'd have to make "$300 to $400 profit". So basically the NIssan Warranty would cost me just about $1300 plus tax.

For $1300 I get a NIssan warranty which means the car has to be serviced at a Nissan dealership only versus the Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty which can be taken just about anywhere, including Nissan Dealerships.

So I'm not so sure the Nissan Warranty is the way to go.

Reply to
Michael

Shop another Nissan dealer, get a better price. And I agree that the IDEA of being able to take a vehicle anywhere is tempting, but there is no gaurantee that a Nissan dealer will accept the Toyota warranty. The only dealers required to accept the Toyota warranty are Toyota dealers. If you take it anyplace else, even if that Nissan dealer will accept the work, you will have to outlay out of pocket then submit for reimbursement. If you are going to get a warranty that you feel will let you go anywhere I would actually recommend one from a large after-market provider like JM&A or Universal, where they are signed with most dealers and you do not have to submit for reimbursement.

Reply to
Bajori