Discovery II SE7 Steering & Extended Warranty

Hi: I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II with 19,000 miles. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the steering? The reason I ask is that I also drive a Toyota Sienna and the turning radius seems so much better. It takes me one turn in the Sienna, where it takes me two point turns in the rover.

Also, has anyone had any issues with the extended warranty offered by Land Rover. My four years are up in October and I was thinking of extending the warranty. I was going to extend it to 60 months/75,000 miles, with a $200.00 deductible at a cost of $2417.00.

Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply to
discoveryse7

No surprises there. No LR has a great turning circle, but the Disco II is noticeably worse than most. First, there is the long wheelbase, which is going to reduce the turning cicle compared to (say) a 90, which isn't brilliant to start with. Second, the steering swivels have a "soft" lockstop designed in. I've been told (by a LR dealership) that it's to prevent idiots from turning them over with sudden steering inputs, but that's obviously bollocks. However, there is an extra quarter turn of the wheel available after you apparently run out of lock - you just have to try a bit harder! With that, I find the lock acceptable. There may be variations between individual vehicles, though - I've had two 2001 Discos, and the second one was much better than the first at getting into my (extreme angle) driveway. I don't know what a Sienna is, but I would imagine comparing the steering of a big 4x4 like the Disco with a small saloon car is not a particularly helpful one.

That's a lot for a year's extra warranty. Having said that, I have bought two LRs at a similar age to yours from LR dealerships with a full year's warranty, and I have been very glad of the cover. Each vehicle would have cost me thousands of GBP without the extra cover. At 4 years old, you are getting into the region where major stuff starts to go wrong. That $2k would probably be a bargain if (say) the gearbox went West.

Rich B Disco Td5 ES7 auto

Reply to
Rich B

Rich: Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate the information you provided.

Rich B wrote:

Reply to
discoveryse7 via CarKB.com

Try one the after-market auto warranty places - the are similar to the manufacturers and a lot cheaper. And you're right about the turning capacity of the Disco II - it takes 2 turns for every one I make in any one of my other cars!

wonderfalls

Playing Nice Since 7/2007

Reply to
Wonder Falls