Full tuneup along with EGR valve replacement, still problems...

I have a 1997 Nissan Altima that started acting up about 2 months ago out of the blue. Here is what happened, while driving it would just start to run very rough and eventually stop. When I would come to a stop light it would not even idle so I had to keep one foot on the gas and one on the break. I had a mechanic look at it and he said I needed to replace the EGR valve along with new plugs, plug wires, distributor and fuel filter. So after they did that it was a little better, but it still does the same thing periodically. About 3 weeks ago it got to the point when it would do it, if I was at a stop light I would place my foot on the gas and one on the break and when the black smoke would spew out of the exhaust it would run just fine, trust me the black smoke had a very distict odor to it also. Any clue as to what this could be? Could it be the other EGR valve or another type of sensor? I thought maybe the black smoke was possible coming from carbon build up that it was just releasing, but it is still having the same problems. HELP!!!

Reply to
bfled

I would maybe change your valve cover gasket, I have a 95 altima and it was leaking oil down into the spark plugs and wires fouling them both out. Only costs 30 bucks for the gaskets and takes an hour to change.

Reply to
Talon

I am having the same problem. I've changed everything that has to do with the ignition system, but still having the problem. Have you figured out what was wrong with yours?

Reply to
mhoule

More info...

I have been having the same exact problem with my 94 altima se. One day while driving down the highway, it just lost all power so I pulled over and then it would not go over about 2500 to 3000 RPM. It has around the same mileage as yours. I have changed EVERYTHING! I changed the dist cap and rotor, wires and plugs to begin and then the ECM. Then I checked every electrical link, fuse, relay, and resistor on the car. I also checked the computer and it did not seem to be malfunctioning nor did it have any error codes. It still is not working and it has been about three months ( I got soo mad I left it sitting for about a montha and a half :-). I'm ready to get it back on the road again, but can't seem to figure out the problem. I may try changing the O2 sensor next and then the distributor. I found this post from a guy in Hawaii on another site which stated that a seal blew on his distributor and caused similar problems

checked mine and noticed oil in mine as well and the seal was all stretched out and worn, so I may buy a new distributor, but they are like 200 bucks.

Have you figured what the problem with yours was yet??

Reply to
mhoule

I finally replaced the distributor last week, and it runs flawlessly now. There seems to be an issue with the seals on the distributors that allows oil to get into the distributor. There is a disk in there with really small holes and a magnetic reader which must read through the holes as it spins. When the oil gets on it, it causes it to do that weird loss of power thing.

Reply to
mhoule

I am having the exact same problem with my 1996 Altima. When I come to a stop the car will idle down real low and eventually cut off. It will start right back up once I put the car in neutral. It is also starting to idle low and cut off when I am still driving. The first time it happened the car would not restart so I had a full tune-up done, and it worked fine for about two weeks, then the problem came back.

I just saw the posting that said that the distributor needs replacing.

2 questions still though:

  1. Did you replace it with a Nissan factory purchased distributor vs. a part store bought one.

  2. I am also having a problem with the steering wheel shaking real bad. Can this be caused by the faulty distibutor, or is this a seperate issue?
Reply to
Tiffany4uonly

When you replaced your distributor, did you need to do anything with the timing on the car?

Reply to
Tiffany4uonly

Reply to
John Smith