Help me please, 1995 Nissan Altima GXE

About 2 years ago I purchased a 1995 Nissan Altima with 132,000 miles on it, since then I have ran it up to about 172,000 miles. The car drives ok but there are some things bugging me with it. First let me tell you what I have replaced. So far I have replaced the plugs, wire and distributor, the battery and alternator, both CV halfshafts, the flex pipe and cat convertor, both O2 sensors, the radiator, thermostat and water pump and the tires. I have changed the air filter and oil every 3,000 miles since buying the car although I don't use synthetic because there is seepage at the pan and valve cover gasket.

Now here is what the problem is, I dont' know if it is supposed to be this way but the steering feels loose to me, it seems that I have to constantly make adjustments to keep the car going straight, and when I turn the wheel it feels like I am moving the steering wheel about an inch or so before the wheels turn. I have had the lower ball joints and tie rods looked at and was told they are in good shape, what can I do about this problem?

Also, only when I am stopped and idleing the RPMs seem to fluctuate and it feels like the car is misfiring randomly at diff cylinders. It is an auto if that helps. But I can't figure out how to fix this, the car is fine while moving and accelerating just at idle it does this. And only in the winter time when it is cold when I first start the car up for the day it wants to sort of chug forward in short sporadic bursts but when it does this i just stop and rev the motor a bit in park or neutral and it fixes the problem.

When I brake somtimes the cruise control light flashes but only when I have cruise on and not activated. It doesnt do this every time I brake but only does it sometimes and never while driving only braking.

Finally, the trunk seems to be leaking when it rains but I cant find a problem with the gasket and also the light fixtures look to have this black seal all around them.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated as I do like this car and don't want to get rid of it.

Reply to
Talon

For the steering problem, there could be a problem with the steering rack (Rack And Pinion Assembly). If the gears inside wear out to much you'll get a loose feeling and less feedback in the steering wheel. Another possibility there is the rubber separator in the steering wheel shaft. This is a little joint (it could be rubber, or a U-Joint) that reduces the vibration you feel from the road in the Steering Wheel. Sometimes these wear out and "disconnect" you from the steering system.

The chugging in the cold could be a lot of things, can't really say without having it here in front of me. Could be Intake Air Temp SEnsor or Coolant Temperature Sensor. (Not the Sender) This might cause some interesting effects but usually the computer can pick up on it and turn on the "Service Engine Soon" indicator.

The trunk leak could be coming from under the car, if it's just a buildup of moisture, check under the spare tire, there are holes sealed up with rubber that can leak or rust out. Also, check the attenna mounting, that can cause it too.

Reply to
MegAltima

This sounds like the problem because it seems to me that I am feeling the bumps through the steering wheel a little too much.

I will stop by Autozone today and find out why the SES light is on.

It seems to be off to the passenger side of the trunk all the way in the back passenger side corner.

Reply to
Talon