Re: Replacing headlights 2002 Altima: Are they kidding?

On the left front head lamp, I checked into this and found that alot of work would have to be done - looked like most of the bumper would need to be removed. I took the vehicle to the dealer and was quoted 1.5 hrs labor to change the lamp.

I called Nissan to voice a complaint about the design of the car that would require this much labor to change a headlamp bulb. They were not very sympathetic and even mentioned that "this was life" - "the design was good" - etc.

On the right front head lamp, the bulbs are easier to get to with no removal of plastics required.

I am thoroughly disgusted with Nissan concerning this.

> One of my headlights burned out on my 2002 Altima. I checked the > owner's manual on replacing the bulb (NOT a XENON bulb - just a > halogen) and it stated that the bulb change should be completed by the > dealer...are they kidding? Has anyone done this before, or is it THAT > complicated? Any info would be helpful. > > Thanks. >
Reply to
A Horne

Yes; I paid $20 to a mechanic just for labor to replace it

Reply to
Xavier

Had my left side buld go out. Read a lot of scary posts about labor, etc. to get it replaced. Took it to my mechanic, who charged me $15 for the bulb, and threw in the labor for free. I was having other stuff done at the time (trans flush, brakes), so I guess that helped. Point being...it probably wasn't THAT MUCH of a big job when they didn't charge me. Either that, or they really like me.

Reply to
fxcarden

They like you

Reply to
Xavier

I replaced driver's side low-beam last night in 35 minutes. Remove the air cleaner housing, twist counterclockwise and remove the white plastic cover from rear of headlamp assembly, and bulb replacement is quick and easy. To remove air cleaner housing, one bolt on left fender, uncouple from hose in front of housing, and lift out. You will have to pull hard because it is supported by two friction supports on bottom.

Reply to
woolybooger

What does "to remove air cleaner housing, one bolt on left fender" mean?

John

Reply to
The Lindbergh Baby

It's the bolt right on the frame. Yeah, it took some little umph to pull it out. Make sure you don't pull all the way so the wires to the housing won't break.

btw. after going to nissan to get a quote to replace the bulbs, i did not want to fork out nearly 200 bucks to change them. so, i took the liberty to do it myself. looks like i have to take it back to the dealer because i found out that one of the wires is burnt not the bulb. Geez!

i think altima 02 has a problem with the left headlight because i found numerous cases of blown out bulbs. perhaps, nissan poorly designed the circuits therefore creating an imbalance of power to the headlights.

but thanks for the threads fellas.

Reply to
Randini

I replaced both left and right low-beam bulbs in my 2005 2.5S Altima with H1 Sylvania SilverStars. It was a bit of work (about 20 minutes for each light) but it wasn't difficult. All you have to do is for the passenger side is take off the two 10mm bolts holding the radiator overflow bottle and lay it aside and then take off that little bracket on the fender. Unscrew the white ring (takes a bit of effort) clockwise, unclip the spring holding the bulb and lift it on its pivot till it stays up, romovr the bulb and swap in the new one. With the drivers side you have to take off the air cleaner cover and remove the filter. Next you take off the bolt on the fender and yank the whole assembly up and out. Replace the bulb as stated above. Do all this in daylight. I did it all in the night with a flashlight..not reccomended. Ohhhhhhhh and by the way....Osram Silverstars are not superior to Sylvania SilverStars. Read the Sylvania website and they will tell you that the European Osram SilverStars are just the same as American/Canadian Sylvania High-Output bulbs available on any autopart store shelf.

Reply to
nissannewbie

I need to replace my 2002 2.5 SL head light(Driver side). Can any one help me with the specifications of the buld i should buy .

Thanks in Advance Gudimella

Reply to
Gudimella

I need to replace my 2002 2.5 SL head light(Driver side). Can any one help me with the specifications of the buld i should buy .

Thanks in Advance Gudimella

Reply to
Gudimella

I found this reco on replacing the driver side headlight on my 2002 Altima very helpful. I would add that I found it easier to remove the plastic shroud over the fan as well. This shroud connects in with the air intake and has a yellow caution sticker on it. Curiously enough, once I had everything disassembled but before replacing the bulb, I checked the lights and it mysteriously works now. Guess the problem was a loose connection in the wiring or to the bulb itself.

Reply to
ToyotaMule