Are they kidding?

MY son just got a note from Volkswagon. The oil changes are now every 5000 miles or 3 months. This has to be a joke

Reply to
skip

They are running maintenance schedules closer to the severe service intervals to prevent the sludge buildup problems they've been dealing with over the years. This is actually better for you engine, especially if you own a turbo model.

Reply to
Madesio

what year, and what engine?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

"Lost In Space/Woodchuck" wrote in news:aNL6i.17$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sisna.com:

The new 5 cyl rAbbit and jetta. For the first time in my life I am going Japanese. BY dear old Volkswagon

Reply to
skip

Simply on the basis of oil change intervals? 5000 miles? Seems like you're the one that's got to be kidding.

Reply to
Brian Running

Brian Running wrote in news:ceX6i.8526$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

The 3 months for synthetic oil is kidding

Reply to
skip

innews:ceX6i.8526$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

You`re right of course....Mobil 1 Yellow cap is gauranteed for 15,000 miles in any engine any driving conditions.(see label)

I use 5w 30 as recommended by Toyota.

I go up to Pickle Lake Ontario where winter temps go as low as -35*F and have had no problem starting at all.

Mobil 1 does NOT even BEGIN to thicken until you reach -45*F. (Read the label)

Of course I dont leave mine in that long . I change oil and filter twice a year , just for peace of mind ....no problems yet 2002 Camry 4 cyl. 62000 miles (104,000 k)

Oil is cheap and good oil doesnt cost ? it PAYS.~!

Combination city and highway driving 60-40 Ed

Reply to
mred

Good God. The last time I was in PL was when the OPP office burned down. I sure hope the roads have improved, and the salty chicken soup in Ignace. Instant scurvy :-) That was a road trip to remember.

Reply to
madmedix

What are the severe service intervals for the Japanese cars you're going to buy? Are any of them 10,000 miles? Where do you draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable intervals? 7500 miles? 6143 miles? 8429.375 miles? Why don't you just stick with whatever interval you're using now? Has there been some problem?

Reply to
Brian Running

Brian Running wrote in news:%Rf7i.8794$4Y.7482 @newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

As long as the car remains under warentee I will continue at 10000 miles which is reasonable for synthetic oil

Reply to
skip

Okay -- so, with all due respect, what is the problem?

Reply to
Brian Running

Brian Running wrote in news:Fck7i.4697$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

I was told that if I dont change the oil every 3 months or 5000 miles the warentee would not bein effect anymore

Reply to
skip

You got this information from an official manufacturer? Not the dealer?

Reply to
Jim Behning

Reply to
none2u

The question was this "Have you received a paper document from your manufacturer that states that your oil change interval must be less than what is stated in the owners manual?"

When you reply to posts, it is easier to see if you are actually replying to either type your reply at the top of the post or the bottom of the post in a separate paragraph. When you reply inside of an existing post it appears that everything is marked as if it is part of someone else's post.

You know of two people that have blown engines? I have driven cars for

30 years and I do not know anyone who has "blown" an engine. Some of my friends autocross, some drag race, some go out and do fast laps on road courses, Some tow 15,000 pound trailers of hay or horses, some just drive hundreds of thousands of miles on a car or truck. But none of them have blown an engine. Well one melted an engine when he ran out of antifreeze in a bad part of town and refused to stop. How in heck do you document that you are changing the oil on time? I buy my filters 6 at a time. I buy my oil one to four gallon jugs at a time. Of course I am out of warrantee a long time ago but I change my oil every 10,000 miles but sure could not prove it to anyone.
Reply to
Jim Behning

How in

THAT is the problem. If you need warranty repair concerning the engine the dealer will research the proof that oil changes were done in a regular fashion. Oil receipts will work. Oil filter receipts should work. Oil change receipts will work.

The key is to purchase something every X months or every XXXX miles if you plan on doing the oil changes yourself. Documentation is very important so keep the receipts!!! I just helped someone who went through this with the dealer about their 2001 Golf GTi VR6 engine with a rattling chain. The dealer reps were very nice but very thorough too.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
none2u

I humbly suggest:

- signed document (as in a letter of reply) from VW stating this is now the case. Dealer sent it? Send it to VW via registered mail (chief of engineering would be my choice) and ask for clarification. If they agree: they owe you money. In that case what they've done is change the terms of the contract after the fact and that's a whole host of legal problems for the manufacturer. This happened to me (not concerning oil intervals, though) with another manufacturer's car and that solved the dealer's stance in a big hurry. Even got free (read: good will) work out of it. Just depends how obstinate the other party is, I suppose. My lawyer's office at the time was right across from the dealership.....

cheers, Andy

Reply to
madmedix

Reply to