weird "chirping" sound from 2002 Altima...

Hello,

My father is the owner of 2002 Altima and he's been complaining about a noise he's been hearing from somewhere under the hood of the car. It seems to occur most often when the car comes to a stop and he refers to it as a chirping sound, but to me it sounds like some kind of a small electric motor is "reving" up (it only lasts a couple of seconds). He's had it to the dealership and at first they didn't know what it was but now are telling him it is normal and has something to do with "air intake valve" (or something like that). Does anyone know what I'm talking about? (my apologies if this is rather vague, but I'm really not much of a "car person" to begin with).

TIA,

Greg

Reply to
GO

Since no one else is responding I will. I experienced these symptoms in my Ford escort Zx2. it is the sound of air passing through a small hose and creating a musical Kazoo effect. A very irritating noise to say the least. I gave my car away before I could solve the problem. The new owner has isolated it down to the PCV valve but has not replaced it yet. Frankly it bothers me that anyone can claim the sound is normal.I had replaced many parts such as belts, the belt tensioner, waterpump to no avail. I wish you the best of luck with this problem.In case you still need help try posting your question with online mechanics. I have included a couple for you. there are many more if you take the time to search for them. Sincerely T

Thundernaute

Yes i have the same problem with my 02 nissan and it has something to do with the hood on the car. If you start the car and have someone press on the side of the hood you will notice it stopping. Stupid hah??? Its true but nothing to worry about. Has he had any problems with the heat?

Reply to
safran2