What is this noise

What is this noise?

I have a 1993 Nissan altima that was given to me.

This car was not taken care of very well. It has a lot of mileage on the car. It was low on oil, not out. Has not had an oil change in two years.

I heard a rattle in the engine.

I am trying to decide rusted out 88 ford escort and a 1993 Nissan Altima that needs work.

The ford has everything replace except the engine. Which may be going bad. The ford is shaking, mainly at stops.

Thank you for any help.

Greg Rozelle

Reply to
Greg Rozelle

The rattle is probably the timing chain. No oil changes is a bad thing on this engine. The chain tensioners stop working. Try changing the oil. If it quiets down, its OK, otherwise, go with the Ford.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thank you.

Since a timing chain cost about $1000 to repair. If the oil keeps it quiet (not stop's the noise). Would it be safe to drive until March 2006 (Tax refund)? If I keep the oil changed?

I am going to get a compression test done on the engine.

Also, Is their anyway to test out the transmission?

Greg Rozelle

Reply to
Greg Rozelle

March 2006? Shouldn't be problem, since its already July.

If changing the oil quiets it down, then it means the tensioners were just starting to sludge up and the fresh oil allowed them the start working again (they are operated by oil pressure). If it quiets down after changing the oil, it will probably run forever.

There was also a TSB on those engines, that corrects chain rattle by simply removing the chain guides (NOT the tensioner) from the top chain and throwing them away. You can try that yourself, the upper chain is relatively accessible.

Test the transmission by driving it - does it shift smoothly & at the right times? If the previous owner didn't even change the engine oil, its probable that the transmission fluid has never been changed. Pull the dipstick on the trans and look at the condition of the fluid - pink is good, brown/black is bad. Burned smell is bad.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thank You again

Good. I can wait till March 2007 then.

I am not a mechanic. I am surprised there are no side effects by removing the upper chain guide. Nissan should of done a recall and paid for this. If this was a maintenance notice, where could I download a copy. I may go ahead replace the tensioner as well. What about putting the bolts back in? I have read a little of this.

It seems to shift fine. I will still change the transmission and other fluids.

Greg Rozelle

Reply to
Greg Rozelle

Low oil can cause damage to the lifters, wear piston rings out and damage the crankshaft over time. If it runs okay, you could probably drive it with few issues in the short run, but if you buy it, get it checked out by a mechanic in your area. It's not easy to determine the problem without being there in person.

My ex-girlfriend drove a 99 maxima that burned oil and she drove for a week low on oil, I told her to key an eye on the oil pressure guage and let me know when it drops below 40psi at highway speed, easy to keep an eye on, hard to educate a female

The lifters made a clicking and the valves rattled a little. The new owner still drives the car today, but in your case, I'd get it checked to avoid buying more trouble than its worth. Even if it checks out okay, a mechanic might find issues that help you decide or give you amunition to negociate a lower price on either car

-- Nissan4ME

View this thread:

Send from

Nissan4ME

You could try looking on Nissan-techinfo.com for the TSB. I'm not sure if they go that far back though.

The upper chain is pretty short. It just runs from a sprocket at the base of the head and around the cams. It shouldn't hit anything without the guides. On later models, they left them out at the factory. I think it doesn't really qualify for a recall because its just a noise issue, there is no real danger of the chain breaking.

Its been about 5 years since I changed the tensioner on my daughter's '95. I don't remember it being difficult to put back together. I had a Haynes or Chiltons when we did it and it covered everything we needed to know.

You can't easily get to the lower tensioner or guides. That's the $1000 job.

One other thing comes to mind as I think back to the '95. The accessory belts also made a rattly sort of noise that sounded remarkably like the chain when they got old and the inner ridges started to chunk up. Take a look at the belts. You might get lucky & not have to mess with the chain at all.

Reply to
E Meyer