1994 Maxima - Will not shift into reverse

I've got an automatic 1994 Maxima I let a friend borrow and it will no longer shift into reverse. It shifts fine into Drive and I can move the car forward, but I dare not take it out onto the street. I was thinking that this was a linkage problem or a switch on the stick shift. Can anyone shed some light on this one? I'm hoping it's not transmission related cause I'll probably get rid of it for cheap if it is. This is a great car which I'd like to keep. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ntt4don

Sorry to say, it's likely the trans. Maybe a shift soleniod, but that's still in the trans. If it shifts into D and into P, then it's a pretty safe bet it's not the shifter. If course you've been a good owner and changed the trans fluid a few times by now, right?

Reply to
JimV