1995 Maxima GXE

175,000KM.

Yesterday at 3:00 PM I picked up my youngster at school, everything fine. At 5:00 PM I started the car to pick up my wife and the engine was misfiring and stuttering. I took it into the dealer, they just called, said it's an injector, $583.00 for repairs, $250.00 for the injector, $220.00 for labour @ 2 hours and the rest is taxes.

Does the price seem right? Is the labour cost reasonable? Do these things just suddenly stop working like this?

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

A web search will show the injectors for a *lot* less money online. If you did the work yourself, you could replace all your injectors for less than the dealeris asking for one.

Reply to
David

I agree absolutely. I've seen rebuilt Maxima injectors for as little as $30 on-line. And the Haynes manual spells out exactly how to replace one. It might take a couple of extra hours for a novice, but anyone with basic skills should be able to do it.

JM

Reply to
JM

It's a very good way to decide who performs the repair.

If he was happy with the dealer price, he wouldn't have posted here. We provided one less expensive alternative.

If he has to do it 5 more times, that's $3500. Even if he does them all at once, it would be about $2000. Good numbers to compare vs DIY, or a local repair shop.

Reply to
David

Ok, car is back, it runs well again.

The #1 Fuel Injector was replaced.

After looking through my 1995 Nissan Maxima Service Manual, I see that the specific fuel injector that was replaced is located under the Intake Manifold. If I think I could have done that job, I'd have been dreaming. I would have been at it a week at least.

If the mechanic did it in two hours, then that's great, they're welcome to their $200.00 for labour, that would have been a big job.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins