2001 Maxima Anniversary SE, lack of power on acceleration

There is no power when I accelerate (automatic trans). My cars at 61,000 miles and is due for a tune up. Even before there was lack of power on the acceleration. 4 cylinder cars beat me on the take off. Any suggestions?????

Reply to
KillaKam

Have them do the tune-up. (Fuel filter, new plugs, etc) and see if that helps. Are you using premium fuel?

I dunno about 01's, but knock sensors can go bad on the 95-99s and that hurts performance some.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Change the plugs, check the air filter, use premium fuel only, check for a bad knock sensor (sets a code, but doesn't turn on the check engine light).

Reply to
JimV

That's a normal scenario for your car. I have an 01 SE and the car has always been a dog off the line----yes, many 4-cylinder cars will out run from a light (I was totally shamed by a new Accord 4 cylinder). The problem is lack of low-end torque and only 4 gears in that tranny. The newer 03 solved most of the problem with more displacement and a variable valvetrain.

But you can revel in the fact that you can smoke most everything from a roll---40 mph and up is your territory.

Matthew

Reply to
maxima1

"KillaKam" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

You may want to check and see if some of your ignotion coils have died. I had to have two replaced under warranty, and then the service manager was nice enough to do the rest before my warranty expired.

Maximas have platinum plugs, so replacing them at 60,000 won't get you much. Also, the fuel filter is in the gas tank and is not considered a maintenance item.

As for getting beaten by 4 cyls on takeoff... you have an auto. If you really want to launch, you need to get the RPMs up. That means either a brake stand, or neutral dump. Shoulda got the stick!

Good luck, Len

Reply to
Bucky

Are you kidding me? The wonderful VQ30DE-K is a blast when padal to metal. 4 bangers definitely get no change to win unless it's a turbo EVO or STI. Now look at your problem. Make SURE your engine is at GOOD condition! Change the spark plugs if your car is already over 60k. As some guys say use PREMIUM! Also make sure your coil is at GOOD condition too. Other common problem with

2k-2k1 max is a slipping auto especially at 1-2 shift, make sure you have fixed the problem. good luck!

Reply to
Alan

Now

My car is a late 2K1 and has the improved coils and trans shift solenoids. I've used Mobil1 since new and the car only has 36K miles. It runs very strong from a roll, but it is NOT a fast car out of the hole. The 0-60 times in the magazines were all about 8 seconds, which pretty much confirms my experience.

I know you can keep up with most non-turbo cars, but believe me that the gearing of the auto trans is not ideal for stop-light drags---the engine does not build up revs fast enough. Once you get into second and the revs pass 3500, the Maxima is a monster. And you won't find a smoother engine (short of a Mazda RX-7!) than the 3-liter Max. The newer 3.5L gave up some smoothness and refinement to gain more low-end grunt and HP. I prefer the 3.0L, but wish it had a 5-speed trans like my BMW 528i---that car, with smaller engine and less HP, can effortlessly run away from lights and any 4-cylinder short of turbos or modifieds. Better tranny is the answer.

Reply to
maxima1