2002 Maxima SE

Shift slower help? Someone may have replaced the fluid with something too thick like 90W hypoid oil.

Reply to
Steve T

Hello,

I recently got this 6 speed and getting a grinding noise (not always but most of the times) when I shift from 2 to 3. I make sure the clutch is floored all the way in.

The dealer says the problem can not be duplicated and it is as per the standards.

What I am doing wrong pl. suggest.

Thanks, Sravan

Reply to
Sravan

Change the trans oil. Try Redline MTL. I put it in a Honda Accord that always shifted slowly 1-2. The new fluid made those worn synchros shift like new.

Good Luck,

Matthew

2K1 Max SE
Reply to
maxima1

If I shift around 2K rpm it is smooth always. Any shift beyond 3500, I hear a grinding noise.

Last time I had my oil change done at Jiffy Lube, this time I will take it to the Nissan dealer.

Reply to
Sravan

Sure sounds like a bad synchro.

Reply to
twaugh5

HI--

I recently bought a 2002 Maxima SE w/ 6 spd that was a "demo"--actually the manager drove it for a year--my trans is notchy in 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. . .my first thought is that the car might be abused but I noticed this trait in other demos (that is the only way you can get a 2002-2003 6 spd Max anymore) and those demos had other traits showing far more abuse than mine may have received . .plus I met the manager and he didn't seem like the type who would abuse the car . . anyway the car magazines make mention of the characteristic talked about here so I think it might be characteristic of the trans. . but I'll try the Redline MTL oil you suggest . . .thanks for the tip.

Reply to
lcbill