2002 Maxima SE

I just bought a 2002 Maxima SE from Planet Honda - Union NJ. it is a very nice car - black in and out, leather, 6 speed manual, with 20,100 miles. i got a very good price on the car.

the carfax report on the car showed no findings. no accidents, no odometer rollbacks, etc.

i do now suspect that the hood was and front fenders were repainted (I noticed this after i already bought the vehicle). i noticed a tape line on the front grill. the fenders were never removed (there are no wrench marks on the fender bolts) so i think that maybe the car was bumped in the front and it caused the grill to push out the fenders by the headlights. anyway, i see no other signs of frame or engine damage. nor do i see wrench marks on any bolts anywhere. by the way, what good is carfax if it does not show everything about the car?

anyway - now to my main question: since the dealer was not fully upfront and truthfull with me about the car, i am now concerned that maybe the 20k miles on the car is not accurate. Is it possible for a dealer(or anybody) to rollback an odometer on a 2002 maxima? do you think that the 20k miles reading on my car is authentic?

thanks for your help

JT

Reply to
=JT=

JimV

JT:

I have a 2002 SE as well. Beleive me when I say that Nissan paint on the Max and their other cars are like Butter. I have 20K on my car too and the front of my car has spots all over it. The bumper and front hood look like someone took a cup of white sprinkles and dropped them all over (I have a Grey Luster, so they stand out!).

I see where your coming from about being worried, but trust me, the paint that's on there now, is a lot better than the paint that's under it! They were doing you a favor (they should have told you though)

I'm considering getting my front repainted as well. There's a lawsuit against Nissan about the cheap water based paint, that they use on their cars.

Tom

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (=JT=) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
Tom

The 2000 SE I bought a few months ago had the same thing. The bumper was repainted and reassembled (badly), I pitched a fit and they repainted it, but still can't put it back together right (idiots).

=JT= wrote:

Reply to
Mike

I'll third that opinion.

I've never had more pits and holes in my paint than on my Nissans. ('87 hardbody, '93 altima, '98 Maxima) My GMC, by contrast had almost no dings after seven years - and that included a lot of off-roading and highway miles.

Kai Ponte

Reply to
Eric

is there a place online that i can sign some sort of petition on this crap that they call paint? Don't get me wrong I love the car, but I live in Kansas and there are no "road rules" here for big trucks that keep them in the far right lanes so in less than 3 months I had a salt and pepper hood. Nissan is really really slow about getting me in to get the paint fixed on a factory blemish in the rear quarter...ik I'm done venting. '02 Max SE Merlot and metal primer...

Reply to
RoadRunner

I thought it was me. The paint on my 2002 is also terrible. Far more damage than on my 1999 Sable that travels the same roads. This is my second Japanese car. The other one, a Mazda, also had substandard paint. Although the Maxima is a nice car, I consider this a major fault. I won't buy another Nissan (as I haven't bought a second Mazda). Fit & Finish - ?????????????????

Reply to
F. W. STORM

Yeah,

There's a class action lawsuit that you can sign up for. I forgot the site, but if you goto Maxima.org you'll find a link to it there.

Most people on that board had a clearbra put on the front of their cars. It's a plastic film from 3M that protects the front, but is nearly invisible. Sadly, by the time I found the product, it was too late.

I think the problem with the paint is an industry problem. Apparently, manufacturers have been forced to switch to water based paint (Instead of the paint they used to use) for environmental reasons, so that's why it's so lame.

Nissan paint seems to be the worst though. It's as if they took the water based paint, mixed in some butter, and then used it to paint the cars....

Tom

"F. W. STORM" wrote in news:ld%hb.15469$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny03.gnilink.net:

Reply to
Tom

Tsk, tsk, tsk, shame on you! How can you possibly consider anything detrimental about these cars? |:>)

Reply to
noyap

I just sold my 14 year old Nissan Maxima GXE to a friend's daughter - her first car. The paint was still glossy and unblemished except for the soft side moldings which have dulled. There wasn't even a parking lot ding on it. I garaged it for the first ten years but it has been in the Florida sun for the last four.

Xpditor

Reply to
Xpditor

I got a demo with the same pit problems on the hood but just accepted this as part of a used car. . . lately the car got sprinkled by the systems which weren't changed to daylight savings time . . .by the time I got the car home & washed it was too late . . there are water stains in the clear coat. .. I've seen this problem before . . anyone know how to get them out?

Reply to
lcbill