2004 Maxima SL - Power Seat Problem

I have a 2004 Maxima SL (about 63,000 miles), with basically all options except the moonroof. Last week I found that when I tried to move the driver's power seat forward, it moved on the right side, but not on the left. I couldn't see anything mechanical obstructing it. I brought it into the Nissan dealer, and they said they had seen problem with some cable or something not feeding power to one of the motors on both Maximas and Pathfinders.

They checked my vehicle, and this is what they found. Unfortunately, they explained to me that they had no way to replace just that cable, and so I had to buy a complete "seat slide/motor kit" (PN 87451-5Z50A 427.86). This was going to cost over $400!! And with the labor, tax, etc., the total bill would come to well over $600!!

This seat problem was discovered the day I returned home after having another repair with very disproportionate cost. The turn signals and headlights weren't working intermittently. The repair required a $221 "Controller Unit" (PN 284B7-7Y02A). I authorized this, and after installation, they said they also needed to replace the "Switch Assembly" (PN 25540-AM620), for an additional $99.96. So it cost me $426 for a couple of electronic glitches, which was infuriating enough.

I was outraged, as you might imagine, and asked him to do nothing yet about the power seat problem. I called Nissan Customer Service, and explained the situation. I explained all of this, indicating that I had been happily using Nissan vehicles continuously since 1990 (had a 300ZX Twin Turbo for quite a while!), and was generally pretty happy with their reliability, with repairs being at a reasonable cost when necessary. But the cost to fix a couple of minor (to me) electrical functions, at over $1000 was simply outrageous. They basically refused to do anything about it, and didn't seem to care when I indicated that this would likely be my last Nissan vehicle, if this is the type of reliability and repair cost I can expect from Nissan.

Obviously, I needed to vent somewhat, but I'm also looking for any practical suggestions about how I might get a cost-effective fix for the power seat problem. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Don Cohen

Anybody with any information/suggestions on this, or perhaps even on tips on where else I might post this to get some help.

Thanks.

Reply to
Don Cohen

You might want to check the 6th gen group on

JimV

I appreciate the reply and advice, Jim.

I actually have posted there, 'sort of.' The problem is that as a 'newbie,' there, with less than 15 posts, I am now allowed to start a new thread. I found a seat-related thread there, but it was on the 5th generation forum. I added a reply there, but no response there either.

I understand the problem with spammers getting into the boards, but having a policy like this is really a disservice to people like myself.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Don Cohen

I'll post one on your behalf.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

If I remember correctly from maxima.org there is a Technical Service Bulletin on the power seat problem for 2002-2003 ?? maximas.

Try searching on Google, it will find maxima.org posts on the topic plus other sources. I used "maxima power seat problem" as the search criterion.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Much obliged. I found the post, and will reply and monitor.

Thanks!

Reply to
Don Cohen

Check this link which I found using the google search listed above, it says there is a recall on your soecific problem for 2004-2006 Maximas.

Should be repaired for free?

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Hi Al,

Many thanks for your posts(s). You are absolutely correct about this, and in fact I received the notice from Nissan, and had this repaired by the dealership without charge, last August.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a different problem from the one I'm currently having. My lumbar switch is fine, it's the forward/backward movement, on one side only, that is not working. I had asked the dealership if there were any recall notices, or TSB's on this, and after checking, they said no. I have no reason to distrust the service manager at the dealership, as he has been great to work with over the years. He just says his hands are tied with regard to the seat slide problem.

If you or anyone is aware of other recall or TSB notices that relate to the seat slide, please let me know. I had done some Google searching for this problem, and for the specific part number, before posting, but came up with nothing.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Don Cohen

I did a little more searching, and came up with TSB #05105, issued

11/29/2005, NHTSA ID # 10017777, which has to do with improper forward or backward movement of the power seat. I have been unable to find the full text of the TSB, to see if it directly pertains to my situation.

Does anybody have access to the full text of this TSB?

Thanks

Reply to
Don Cohen

Full text TSB is at:

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Thanks, Al. I googled but didn't come up with this.

Best,

Reply to
Don Cohen