4th gen max - aquatreads vs. stock vs. whatever you suggest

hope that this topic hasn't been posted _too_ much. i checked out maxima.org and couldn't find anything, ....anyways:

its time for new tires, in the great state and location of central new jersey, near the shore, where we get the worst of summer and winter.

any suggestions/opinions on perhaps going aquatreads(sp?)? i drive mainly highway (cruise is set at 80 whenever possible). don't race or hug switchbacks on country roads or anything. just need tires that tend not to spin out of toll booths and traffic lights and that in the winter are as good as the stock michelins when driving up to ny state and vermont in less than ideal conditions for skiing.

thanks for the advice in advance.

-96 gxe auto 170k

Reply to
paducci

I've been pleased with Dunlop SP Sport 5000s and A6s.

I suggest going to tirerack.com and looking for ultra-high performance all-season tires that get a good winter and rain rating. It's tough reading, since users have such different opinions and driving conditions, but helpful. Set a price, too. If money is no object, I suggest Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. At $200/corner, I settled for something in the $120/corner range.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Paducci,

I imagine you'll get a lot of different opinions on this one. I'll share with you what I like, for what it's worth...

purchased the car with new Aquatread tires (actually, Pirelli P6000). The lasted very well (over 40k miles), but weren't the greatest for handling and such. I replaced them with Kumho something or another (I was broke at the time, give me a break). These were actually pretty good handling tires for the price, but they wore out in 12,000 miles.

Last month I got new Pirelli P6 Any Seasons all the way around. I love these tires. They are very quiet, they handle well in spirited driving, and the treadwear rating is 400 so they should last awhile. There was a noticable reduction in steering effort after installing these tires. The car feels "tossable" much more than before. I got them for $97 ea drive out.

Mine is a 1997 Maxima SE. I don't autocross or anything, but I do like to take corners fast - especially high speed corners. These Pirelli's fit the bill for that purpose. I don't know what they're like in snow (we don't get any of that down here), but they do well in rain.

-Trevor

Reply to
Trevor OE News