service engine light

my SES light just popped on. my ABS light is also on so I'm brinign it to a shop for that and an oil change. was wondering why it came on and if anyone has any guesses? it's a 2001 max SE 5 speed at 29,700 miles. will the SES light come on periodically so I bring it in for service (I.e. nissans 30k service) I'm gonna get both lights checked was just wondering on any guesses, should anythign be done to my car at 30,000 as far as service goes?

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

The light only comes on if there is a fault. Since the CES and the ABS both came on, I'd suspect the alternator.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
John Smith

the ABS light was already on for a while (about a month), the SES light just came on, I wouldn't think it's the alternator (hopefully not at 30k). someone else said it might be the gascap but I ALWAYS make sure I hear it click 3 or 4 times before I close the gas door, so i'm pretty sure it's not that. was just wondering if it's a triggered thing so you bring the car in for service or not (meaning, just to get certian thigns changed like plugs or whatever) thanks

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

It could be any of about 400 things. If you are in the US, take it to any AutoZone (except in California) and they will read the codes for you for free.

On the newer Nissans there is also a procedure that involves switching the key on and off while pumping the accelerator pedal that will make it blink out the codes on the CEL light. I can tell you how to do it on an '02 Pathfinder 3.5. The procedure might be the same on your Max.

Reply to
E. Meyer

ok, this si wierd as I've never seen this happen in any of my cars before, but the SES light that was on has gone off. I never had teh code cleared, does this mean whatever triggered the code isnt' malfunctioning anymore? just wondering, the cars going in tomarrow to the shop, thanks

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

Yes, but it will probably be back. Also the code is still in memory. They can still tell what turned it on.

Reply to
JimV