'95 Max Engine Codes

My check engine light went on, and the codes I read are:

3-4 knock sensor 1-3 engine coolant temp. sensor

I reset the engine light, and will drive awhile to see if it comes back on. Anyone experience this problem, and are these sensors do-it-yourself replaceable?

Thanks.

Reply to
Howard Cohen

Yes, both are DIY. ECTS is a $20 item from Autozone and only requires removal of a few hoses to give access. It's right near the top - tapped vertically into a metal radiator tube adjacent to the battery. Do it on a cold engine to avoid coolant spurt.

The knock sensor plus a new harness will put you back over $100. But it should pay back better fuel economy.

The knock sensor can be a bear because it's deep in the recess between the two cylinder banks, and some people have removed the intake manifolds to get access. It's that lone sensor visible from the driver side - 1 12mm hex head bolt and a plug. But I just did this one without removing anything and very little hassle:

- Get a 1/4" drive 14" extension, and 1/4" drive 12mm flex head socket. A regular 12mm short socket and 1/4" drive flex put together will probably be too tall.

- Using this rig, break loose the bolt and remove the works.

- Put the new sensor in place lined up as well as you can.

- Take a 1/2"x1" strip of duct tape - lay one half over the top of the bolt and down a flat on each side of the head. This should make the fit to the

12mm socket snug. Then take the leftover tape, twist it 180°, and tape it to the outside of the socket.

- Using the extension and some patience, carefully sneak the bolt through the sensor and twist the extension to get the bolt started in the threads. With some luck mine got started right away. One alternative is to borrow someone with small narrow hands to have them sneak their hands in and start the bolt manually. Congratulations, that was the hard part. Crack open a beer. Now tighten the bolt. Pull the socket free and use a long set of needle-nose pliers to remove the tape.

It also helps to have a magnetic pickup tool in addition to the long needle pliers for doing this job in general.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Dave,

Thanks for the instructions. As I said, I cleared the codes and will drive for awhile to see if the check engine light comes back on before I do anything.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Cohen

Reply to
JimV

Nope, I guarantee you the tape trick worked better and had zero impact on my relationship. Considering how sharp those manifold gaskets are, I'm glad it wasn't necessary.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

The knock sensor is a ghost code - the CEL won't come on if the code trips again. So check the codes in a couple weeks. ECTS I don't know about.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman