95 Maxima Rough Idle

Hoping someone can help. My '95 Maxima SE with 159K on it has developed a rough idle. Symptoms are: Starts up just fine (no cranking), idles almost normal in park or neutral, in drive car idles very rough (rock and roll), on acceleration car 'dogs' until about 25 mph, after that seems to run normal until slow down under 25 mph (idles rough again at stop signs). The check engine light is on.

This same scenario occurred about 2-3 months ago. I put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank and the next half day ran rough, but cleared up. Have not had any problems, until yesterday. Tried injector cleaner this time, but has not helped. THANKS!!!!

Reply to
BOlson

Instead of guessing, since your SES is lit just pull the error code from the ECU. You can find instructions at the following URL. There's also a decoder link so that you can convert the code into the corresponding error message:

Dan

An injector has gone.

If the bad injector is under the manifold, have them change all three at the same time to save on labour cost.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Okay, thanks for the help guys. I ran the ECU codes. I have 2 of them, the first (0606), "Cylinder 3 Misfire" and the second (0304), "Knock Sensor". Where do I start now. Obviously there is an issue with cylinder #3, but how do I know if it is a spark issue or a gas issue. Thanks.

Reply to
BOlson

When was the last time you changed plugs? If they're good, my guess is that it's the ignition coil for cylinder #3. The knock sensor code may or may not be accurate, and is triggering because the coil is causing rough running and the KS thinks the engine is knocking. A coil is much easier to check and replace than an injector too.

Reply to
Monte