Front wheel Bearing Replacement questions - 97 Maxima

My 97 5 speed has rolled close to 115000 and over the last 20k the car hasn't held a line terribly well. I had everything on the front end inspected a few months ago and nobody could find any culprit. Just last weekend I rotated the tires and noticed the front wheels weren't very 'tight' because of some play, so I ordered some wheel bearings. I hope to do the job myself.

- According to the FSM, I will need an outer and inner grease seal for each axle. True? - I will need a press to insert and remove the bearing - can someone recommend an affordable and compact press that will be useful for other auto jobs? (There is a Harbor Freight close by to me). What did you use as an adapter to fit to the bearing? Or is it far simpler to drive to a garage and have them press the parts in/out? - Should I be buying CV boots or tie rod boots? - I saw the Motorvate.ca method did not remove the knuckle from the car. If I take the knuckles off, what else should I do?

Thanks a bunch for any answers.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

The motorvate method bugs me because it relys on impact rather than pressing. If you put a belt on the car at the wrong torque it and the bearings will still last a long time and cover up your mistake. In contrast, I'll bet that any damage to the races or bearings will show up oh so very quickly. I'd go to a good shop and get the pressing done.

Replace CV boots. Absolutely. I'd be pissed at the shop that didn't recommend it while they were there anyway.

The whole issue of bearings has me concerned at 93,000 miles myself. And 8 years on the boots (still holding up!)

That Accord EX V-6 is looking better and better. I do wish that the newsgroups for Honda were as helpful as for Maximas.

OK now everyone's annoyed with me, but I tried to find an '04 Nissan/Infiniti I like and I just don't. The Accord suspension is ok (except a little yaw motion), it is their Michelin and Bridgestone OEM tires that suck so highly.

JM

Reply to
JM

Thanks JM. I'll be doing the work myself - so the cost of labor going in/out isn't as much of a consideration as making sure the job is done well. From what I hear, I'll also damage the tie rod boots and need spares for that too.

In addition, I'll be able to follow the shop manual method.

My mother is shopping for a lightly used car, and we looked at an 02 Accord V6. I was impressed, and except for the fact that one of belts is assembled around the pass side motor mount (!?!) it seems like a great car.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman