97 Maxima that overheats at low speed

What I've done so far:

Replaced the Thermostat & seal Replaced the Radiator Pressure Cap Verified that the fans are running when the car appears to over heat (so, this should eliminate this & the temp sensor switch... right?) The Radiator has been flushed and doesn't appear to have any blockage

What I plan on doing next:

Replace Water pump belt Replace Water pump

What I think is happening is either the belt is wearing out & not rotating the pump well enough at lower speed, thus degrades the cooling system. However at higher speed, it provides more rotation along with air cooling. Am I assuming correctly?

I'm quite handy with cars & welcome any suggestion to replacing the above.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ted Couple

just a little FYI

The water pump is driven by the timing chain not a belt

The water pump on your car is NOT a job for your avid DIY'r , if you screw up you can get the cams and the crank out of time, basically this means the car will not run correctly and if you get the timing chain off a lot it may even bend valves.\ If you have a FACTORY service manual follow the removal and install instructions TO THE LETTER .

as I said , one screw up and your finished. Don't get me wrong , it can be fixed if it gets out of time but it will be expensive.

Reply to
NissTech

Do you have your A/C running when this happens? How clean are the fins on your condenser and radiator?

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for point that out, I wasn't aware of it. Anyway, I assume timing chain hardly wears out over time (unlike belt), therefore the only culprit that remains is the Water Pump. Am I correct on the assumption?

Reply to
Ted Couple

Both looks fine. Rotation also looks fine when on.

The strange thing is, the Car doesn't overheat at all in cooler temp. However when the temp hits 80 or above then the problem starts surfacing. I guess I wouldn't generally use the AC at lower temp either... so what are ways of eliminating the A/C from the equation? Turn off the Auto-Climate system altogether when the overheat occurs?

Thanks!

Reply to
Ted Couple

silly ? but what's you anti freeze to H20 ratio? john

Reply to
john

I have heard of issues on higher mileage Nissans, where the water pump impeler wears down where its not very effective at circulating the fluid. This is also an issue during cold days (-5 deg C or less) with the heater function.

How many miles on the max?

Reply to
Maximum

I would turn off the automatic climate when it starts to overheat. if the temperature comes back down then the chances are pretty good that you need either some ac work or to clean the fins.

Reply to
Brian

That sounds like my Maxima, it's 102K right now. Would a new waterpump do the trick?

Thanks.

Auto-Climate

Reply to
Ted Couple

Thanks.

Reply to
Ted Couple

The water pump IS a DIY job if you are so inclined. You simply need to remove the cover on the timing chain cover. You will need two long M8 1.25 bolts to jack the water pump out. Be extra careful not to drop any bolts into the timing chain housing. You will need to change oil afterwards do to inevitable coolant spillage. Refer to a Haynes manual for details.

CW

Reply to
CW