99 Maxima - 90K service

My 99 Maxima is hitting its 90k mile service and I was wondering what are the essential service items that I must perform; especially is it recommened to replace spark plugs?? The dealer guy is insisting that I change (costs $200) them but I am wondering if I should do or leave it for a while....

Also, what is the frequency of changing the fuel filter... I did change my fuel filter at 75K. Should I change it as well if it was changed jusy 15K miles prior.??

Reply to
survesh2000

=== If it's starting ok and not missing I would not change the plugs. I would change the fuel filter it's not a big cost item and they do fill up and put a strain on the fuel pump. What about the cooling system ever have it drained and re-filled? And the Transmission has fluid been replaced thats a real big item if it fails.

Reply to
KybonaWhogonna

I agree. Coolant should be replaced every couple of years using a silicate free 'green' type.

ATF or gear oil should be changed every 60k. Don't pay the extra money for a 'flush'.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

My mechanic says to always do the ATF flush, otherwise you are only changing about 2/3 of the fluid. Any other opinions?

Reply to
Steve Green

I agree that an ATF drain and fill is about worthless, especially since the filter is about impossible to replace and rarely ever done. It replaces less than 1/2 of the fluid, whereas the flush should remove it ALL.

-mike

Reply to
mike w

When I do a drain/replace I do change the complete fluid. I also drop the pan and change the filter if it's accessible. Each car is a little different, but there is generally a simple procedure where you can push thru 100% of the old fluid out of the torque converter and tranny cooler. Even if you don't know that procedure, getting 2/3 of it changed is still a substantial improvement.

I don't advocate those 'power flush' things where they try to blast out every bit of grit in the tranny. That's the waste of money I suggest you avoid.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

There is not usually an "easy procedure" to get all the fluid out. If you just drain the pan you are only getting about a third of it.

Reply to
JimV

Pull plug; drain converter. Pull cooler return line, run engine (need a helper), stop engine when it stops. Pull pan, change filter, refill.

It's a very reasonable DIY on the car and truck I've maintenanced. And it clears 100% of the fluid.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Except for there's no converter drain plug. Plus the fact that most people wouldn't know which line is the return, and would likely damage it by running it dry. Most people should pay for the flush.

Reply to
JimV