'B'-post rattle on '98 Maxima

I have a slight creak from the B-post (pillar between front and rear doors) on my 1998 Maxima. It happens during acceleration and braking (i.e. longitudinal acceleration or deceleration). There is nothing obvious that is loose. Has anyone got any suggestions on what this could be? I believe there may be a TSB about this, but I can't locate it.

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Microstar

That's my problem with my 97 Max too but I called Nissan Canada and they said there was no outstanding recall on my car. And somethings when I make a turn (left or right) up to a curb like going into a Macdonal parking lot, there's some slight cracking noise from the chasis. It's a fine car otherwise but the rattles make me want to sell it.

Reply to
Goldfinger

front and rear

and braking

is nothing

what this could

locate it.

That's my problem with my 97 Max too but I called Nissan Canada and they said there was no outstanding recall on my car. And somethings when I make a turn (left or right) up to a curb like going into a Macdonal parking lot, there's some slight cracking noise from the chasis. It's a fine car otherwise but the rattles make me want to sell it.

Reply to
Boots Crofoot

If it is like others I have seen, the lock up system has a free-swinging weight component as part of the mechanism. When you hit the brakes, the forward motion of the weight (from vehicle's inertia) locks up the seat belt ratchet, holding you back. After you stop, the inertial energy is dissipated and the weight again hangs free, releasing the ratchet. Thus, you can move around with some "give" in your seatbelt under normal driving. So, perhaps what Boots is suggesting is that mechanism is making some extraneous noise. That generation of maxima had quite a range of random squeaks and rattles, according to the reviewers at the time. That is one of the first things I noticed about my 95. But I seemed to have gotten used to it. Between the radio and A/C, or open sunroof and windows, those little noises seem to fade away. Good luck Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded
Reply to
BeeP

Its not the inertia-reel mechanism ('shoulder retractor) - it makes more noise than that. My noise is more like a chassis or trim creak - but I can't nail it down. Apart from that its a silent car - no other creaks or rattles.

Eric

Reply to
Microstar

I do hear the inertia-real mechanism making some noise when I close the driver side door. And I hear the same chassis/trim creak that you talk about also, especailly when I am making a left/right turn into a curb. No luck trying to identify the source and I guess I can either get use to it or get rid of the car.

Reply to
Goldfinger