96 100K Knock Knock Knock

Started our car this morning and was greeted with a loud rapid knocking sound coming from the engine compartment. Shut it off. Is there something that might do this other than a major engine compartment?

Oh no Mr. Bill :)

Reply to
Doug Burgess

Most likely it is the main timing chain tensioner starting to wear out. The noise should go away pretty quickly as the tensioner gets pumped up with oil pressure. The tensioner is a ~$40 part. Don't know about labor. This is a pretty common problem with 95 and 96 Maximas as they get on in mileage. I'm replacing mine, along with the water pump, this coming weekend.

Reply to
Steve Manifold

My 97 SE does this sometimes after not being used for 24 hours or so. Is it the same problem???

thanks.

Reply to
news.metrocast.net

If the noise goes away after a few seconds after starting the engine, then it most likely is.

Reply to
Steve Manifold