1987 maxima Power Windows

I have a 1987 Nissan Maxima that has a power window problem. None of the switches on the drive side control panel (located on the door) will work. If I open the door all the way I can get the windows to operate. When I start to close the door while holding the window switch, up or down, the window will stop operating. This is true for any window in the auto operating from the driver control panel. When the driver side switch is having the problem none of the other door switches work (located on the other doors). The power door locks are also affected. Some times if I open the door and slam it shut I can get the power windows to work for a short while. If I open the door and play with the cable that comes from the engine compartment to the door I can get the windows to operate. I have changed the control panel - at quite an expense - but that is not the problem. It seems to me there is a loose, or broken, wire some where in the system but I do not know how to track that one down. If anyone knows which wire it could be I'll jumper it in and see what happens. Any suggestions?

Thanks for you time, Confused

Reply to
Ralph

It's somewhere in the harness you are wiggling to get it working. Only solution is for someone to open up that harness and find the broken wire. If you pull on each wire, the broken one will be obvious as it will stretch and pull in two at the break

Reply to
Steve T

Steve, I understand your comments but the cable is only a few inches long and is extremely difficult to get to since the hinging mechanism is in the way. I could just get my index finger in there the wiggle the wire. I was hoping, that since the problem affects most everything in the master switch consol that there is a particular wire or two, or three, that I could jumper to isolate the problem. Then I could find a way to replace those wires.

Personally I don't know how I would get my hands into that small area to work on the cable. The cable has a rubber sleeve on it and goes through grommets at the door and at the frame. I took the door panel off and tried to get at the cable through the door opening but there isn't enough room to get my hand between the sheet metal door structure. Once the cable goes inside the car doorframe it is impossible to get to also.

Do you have any idea on how to work around the space problem? Thanks for your help, Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

Remove the harness from the car is the only way to gain acess to it. Otherwise you need a wiring diagram to be able to figure out how to bypass the problem area.

Reply to
Steve T