Re: '99 Maxima brake noise....

It appears that brake noise from 1999 Maxima's is not an uncommon

>problem. According to this website..... > >
> >the noise can be fixed by replacing brake cables and pads. That >sounds like it could be kind of expensive to me. Has anyone else out >there had this problem? Is this the only fix for it?

Slow down just a bit... do you have brake noise or are you looking at buying a Max ?

First, here is a TSB on this (I read it) indicating that the read brake cables may cause the pads to sit a little close and make a noise when backing up. However, it is not that common. I had a Max making the noise which I attributed to this TSB. I posted in several Max places on the web and could not find anybody who'd been through this problem or had replaced the cables. I called my local dealer parts man, and he had not sold a single cable for the '99. Not one... and they may use the same parts for several years, I don't know.

With that in mind, I just did the brakes (as they needed doing anyway), adjusted the brake cable normally, and everything seems fine.

FWIW, the cables are about $80 each. If you need pads, then you need pads. That's a separate issue.

>Does Nissan have some responsibility in this situation too? >Thanks for any replies.

I don't think it's common enough for them to even consider picking it up out of warranty. Most all cars have dozens of TSB's on them; the factory does not pickup the cost out of warranty unless the problem is very, very common.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob