Bad starter relay?

My 97 (117k, 5sp) has given me starting trouble a couple of times in the last few months. The conditions are generally random (hot engine, cold engine, cold weather, cool weather). When I turn the key to crank I get no crank or click and the lights dim until I back off with the key. Turning off my climate control and radio then gets it to crank and start as normal. I'll take a wild guess that the starter relay is going bad and is requiring too much power draw when it's misbehaving.

Starter, alternator, and battery all less than 2yrs/30k old. Should I replace the relay, or start somewhere else?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I have seen bad relays, more on the ZX's though. Test for power with a test light at the starter or an easier test, smack the starter body with a hammer when is misbehaves and see it it cranks, if so the starter is going...

Reply to
Steve T

I think it was a rebuilt, from Nissan.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

This is very typical for a Maxima. My 96 did the same thing.

I took it off (not tough), cleaned it up (used some spray brake cleaner to free up the bendix and then lubricated it) and re-installed it and it's worked fine since.

Cost $0.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Unfortunately I did that with my first starter. It got noisy, so I tried cleaning it out and lubing it. The noises returned 6 mos. later, so I got a new starter. Now it doesn't want to start about 1 in 20 times I go to drive it.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Where did you get the starter?

Reply to
Steve T

Nissan - reman I believe.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Speaking of starter issues.... my 96 GLE starter showed signs of failure last summer - (loopy starting, dead spots etc.), so I ordered a Nissan reman. (based on the past advice on this group)... well 6 months later, its the middle of winter, and the starter was making squealing sounds while dis-engaging... I call Courtesy Nissan Parts (the original source) - they say, no probs. go to your local dealer and they'll give you another. Well I call my all local dealers and they say they can't "replace it under warranty" because the part has not yet "failed"... they say call Nissan... so I call Nissan and they said, "Yep - the part has to fail"... well I consider squeaking as failed but they don't... so I don't know whether these Nissan remans are as good as they are made out to be...

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 104k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

Reman means the fixed the immediate problem and ran it through some kind of short test. There could be a greater problem that caused the 1st immediate problem. Its a toss up when you buy reman parts. I say take it back and shove it down the dealers throat. I would almost bet there is an unspoken rule or encentive to discourage people from using warranty services. Atleast that has been my experience at most dealerships. Just work your way up the chain of command if you dont get the answer/service you are looking for. Basically walk in there and say "I have this part that is making a noise that it didnt make when I first bought it. Therefore the part is defective in some manner. Either fix it or replace it." Call up some local shops and find out what could be causing your problem w/the starter. Go in there well informed and then tear them a new one with your facts. I have done it and it works, not to mention quite fun to see the look on their face.

Reply to
Warner Crump

I have a pathfinder that I had the starter changed out with a Reman Nissan starter - after 1 yr or so the armature started going bad -

Nissan said it had a 1 yr warrenty - but SORRY its not under warrenty - would you like to buy another started for another $250.00.

I am now researching the change out on '94 4x4 pathfinder -- and buying the Starter at Auto Zone with Lifetime warrenty.

Reply to
Robert