Clutch/starter interlock switch

I have previously posted about my 1991 Explorer having problems starting and to the best of my diagnosis and from what I've read in the "Haynes Repair Manual", the problem is being caused by my clutch/starter interlock switch. I have called a Automotive Parts store and found out that a replacement would cost $45, what I am wondering is, can the interlock switch be by-passed so that I can start it without having to press the clutch peddle down.

Of course, you might tell me this would not be all that wise of an attempt, but can it be done and which wires would need to be temporarily jumped? There are 2 pink, 2 green, 1 tan with a red stripe, and 1 brown wire at the connector. In order to get the vehicle to start, I have to press the clutch several times to get it to close the contacts or could this be caused by the starter's solenoid not engaging? There have been a couple times when I pressed the peddle down and turned the key, the starter relay would click but the starter would not turn over. Is this sounding like it may be caused by the starter solenoid instead of the $45 clutch/starter interlock?

Please help, this is getting annoying and bother some, I don't mind the problem with the vehicle not starting when I can roll start it... but it is still a pest.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Robert Bodling

is there power at the seliniod feed?

hurc ast

Reply to
sanfordm44356

Don't mean to sound stupid, but could you please explain what you mean by this... There have been times when I press the clutch peddle down and turn the key and the starter relay will click and the starter motor will not turn over, and then there are times when I press the peddle and turn the key and the relay will click and the starter motor will crank the engine as if the clutch/starter interlock switch closes the contacts and some times, I have to press the peddle several times to get the relay to click. This is why I think the problem is in the $45 interlock switch.

Reply to
Robert Bodling

i think you soved your problem the interlock jump it does it work all the time?

hurc ast

Reply to
sanfordm44356

Robert... why not just tell us what the problem you're having is. You are asking for help, but it is you guiding the diagnosis... this ain't going to work. Tell us the problem and we can tell you what to look at and how to check it.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well, I guess you had that part right, I fixed the problem, but it was good having to talk about it, thanks.

Reply to
Robert Bodling