Bose Radio replacement for SE 94'

Many thanks in advance for your comments!!

I have a maxima SE 1994 with 46,000 miles.

I am not sure if it is the Radio or Speakers. But I am tempted to replace the Radio and speakers ....thereby getting away from Bose proprietary prea-amps (signal conditioning device) at the the speakers base?? I believe?

The radio, cd, and cassette: At times sounds boomy...(too many low's) and even though I set the VOLUME knob to ZERO I hear music (a boomy signal...). It is an intermittent problem.

Any experience with this problem? and any recomendations as to radio replacement and/or repair issues.

How about Cruchtfield.com?? I entered the maxima info and came up with two radios but NO speakers.

thanks!

Reply to
George

Repair (h/u and amps): it has be done. There have been posts over the years in this group which address this issue. Best bet is to use a newsgroup search engine (Google Groups, etc.) to find specific topics and contacts.

Replacement (h/u): nearly any DIN-sized chassis unit will fit where the Clarion-based N/B h/u is currently. If the amps are still functional, you'll need an adaptor cable to step the signal coming from the new h/u to a level compatible with the N/B amps at each speaker. Some of these repair 'shops' may have repaired factory decks in stock as well.

Replacement (amps): the electronics at each speaker are actually amplifiers, not pre-amps. Given the age of your car, the contacts and connections of these units are likely to go bad if they haven't already. The speakers themselves are extremely low impedance drivers that are matched to the amps. If you end up replacing the h/u with an aftermarket cassette or cd deck, I'd recommend doing a complete makeover. If you just go out window shopping, any knowledgeable local car audio shop could at least tell you what size speaker driver will fit at each location (without mods or additional custom work, I believe 5 1/4" round or 4x6s should fit in the door; 6x9s in the rear deck, but I could be wrong about the fronts). You could run off deck power, but I'd consider a separate 4-ch amp mounted in the trunk or under one of the front seats to get the best performance out of the speakers.

If the electronics are indeed shot, there's really no point in keeping any portion of the system, IMO. The tape deck's performance has never been all that impressive, and it's pretty much a dead format anyways. A new cd deck will at least give you the option of built-in cd audio, if not cd-r, cd-rw, MP3, WMA, etc.

signal...).

Reply to
nospam4me

Thanks again for your comments!!