Brake and Rotor questions

I have searched the past posts but still have some questions.

What is the avg mileage for brakes and rotors before they need replacing? I realize this varies but is there a ball park number?

Is it better to do the rear first or front first or does it even matter?

Does the type of rotor matter? The MEM says ventilated for front and solid for back.

Thank you in advance! Emma

Reply to
sdemma

It does vary a lot according to the car's usage. Maybe 75k miles for the fronts and 100k for the rears on average? The pad thickness should be checked at every oil change, and the pads replaced as necessary.

The front pads will almost certainly wear out first in a properly-functioning system. If the rears are more than half worn, I'd do them at the same time.

There's no choice in type. Buy OEM rotors and pads; they're not expensive if ordered from Trussville Mazda or Finish Line Performance. But the original rotors should last at least two sets of pads.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny, why do you say there's no choice in type? Drilled and slotted may not be necessary but they are certainly available. The PO of my 99 had purchased but not installed a set for my car which he gave me. Since the price was right (and they look SOOOO much better than stock) I installed them. I realize any functional advantages will be minimal (some would argue, non-existing on the street) but it's hard to deny the aesthetic value especially on a nice, open wheel.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

The "type" question was regarding ventilated v. not ventilated. Drilling and slotting are just cosmetic styles. (My fingers keep wanting to type "fads.")

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I don't think that any automotive process that started before I was born, (40+ years ago), could be thought of as a fad, whether it is useful or not.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I know that my OEM rotors and pads work great on the street, especially the '96 setup on the 1991 car.

Does cross-drilling and slotting the rotors allow any greater cooling and water dispersion as advertised or is that pure snake oil?

40 years just seems like a long time to fool people if this is so. I don't think that the Vornado is going to make it that long. How long have fuel-line magnets been around, anyway? :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:zWLbh.10506$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

I really doubt there's much cooling effect but drilling and/or slotting does work wonders to prevent the rotors from scoring from grit, dust, etc. and has been very effective on motorcycles where the rotors are more exposed to the road crap.

Reply to
XS11E

Trust me, it's not a fad or snake oil. Just take a look at any race car. When used on street cars, I think it's more in homage to race cars than what I'd call a fad but maybe that's splitting hairs (which cannot be referred to as a fad as it's been going on since before Pat was born;-).

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks everyone. I feel good about this and will probably tackle it over Christmas when I have some time on my hands. As always, this group never disappoints!!!

sdemma

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the very substantial weight savings that can be realized by drilling the brake lines as well as the rotors.

Reply to
XS11E

Ha, I thought I saw you in the next aisle, last time I was at KaleCo. I was picking up a couple packs of self-adhesive Lightening Holes (the square ones). Don't underestimate the advantages of cross-drilled exhaust headers, either.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Drilling adds strength as well. Look at the way toilet paper/paper towels always tear away from the perforated line.

miker

Reply to
miker