Car doesnt Start

Hello All. I need a hand here. I have a 87 Nissan Maxima and its in pretty running condtion with 127K on Odometer.My problem is when I press down on the clutch to start the car, it wont start...Everything else works lights,dash board lights, blinkers, interior lights door lights..trying to figure out if its either altinator,starter, or maybe even a new cluth...all helpful hints are appreciated..thanks to all that respond

Louie

Reply to
NissanOwner87

So NissanOwner87 was saying:

If all the lights and such work, that pretty much rules out the alternator. You don't say what /does/ happen when you turn the key. Anything?

Based on what little you've given us to go by, I'm going to guess it's the switch on the clutch pedal. I'm not real familiar with '87s. Does it have the interlock where you have to push the clutch pedal ALL the way down to start it? If so, I'd wager it's that switch.

Good luck, Greg

Reply to
Greg Evans

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Does it turn over? Yes. The Alternator battery and starter probably all good. No. Battery could be bad, Alternator did not charge properly, starter bad.

If it doesn't turn over, was it making any grinding or odd noises when it did start in the last few weeks? If so, the starter is probably bad.

My starter made some grinding noises for about a week, I made an appointment, took it in to the dealer and it refused to start after getting it there. Bad starter.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Could be any number of problems from clutch switch, dead spot in starter, ignition switch, or a relay.

One thing I experienced in both a borrowed 1974 Datsun B210 and my 95 Maxima was a dead spot in the starter. This was apparent for quite some time with my Maxima as loping crank (not cranking as powerful or smoothly).

My 95 Maxima also had an ignition switch problem, where nothing would happen when I turned the key unless I jiggled the key while turning it. I just had the ignition switch replaced a couple of days ago (no key change), and it seems more solid and works much better.

I also had my "neutral switch" replaced in my manual transmission when the backup lights stopped working, but not sure if that is even a factor for starting a manual.

Reply to
David Efflandt

you may want to clarify

When you say it does not start.

are you saying the car "cranks" like in ... RRRRRR RRRRRR RRRRR and no Varoom ??

Or the car does not even crank ..... silence no starter action.

remember gang starting and cranking are 2 totally different things.

Reply to
NissTech