o2 Sensor in 1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0

I was recently told that I needed to replace:

1.) My Knock Sensor 2.) My Front O2 Sensor

I plan on replacing my knock sensor myself, but am looking for help in locating the faulty front o2 sensor and replacing it.

Are there any good guides online or someone willing to talk me through it?

Reply to
vmikolay

The O2 sensor is actually easier (IMHO) to replace than the knock sensor. See this link for the O2 sensor locations:

Do you know what the exact code was? It will help identify which O2 sensor has failed.

You can either rent an O2 sensor socket kit from Autozone (or other car parts place) or just use an open ended wrench to get the O2 sensor out. Soaking it for a few minutes with a penetrant like PB Blaster will make removing it easier.

I would recommend using anti-seize on the threads of the new O2 sensor to make removal easier. Be careful not to contaminate the tip of the sensor.

You can buy Bosch (OEM equivalent) O2 sensors from

for a fair price.

Cheers. Nirav

96 Max GLE, 117k
Reply to
njmodi

I recently had the F pipe replaced on my 95 with a Stainless Steel custom made pipe. In taking a look at the location of the o2 sensors in the Courtesy Parts diagram, it implies that there are 3 O2 sensors on my car. I was there and watched the chap who did the work the whole time and there were only 2 O2 sensors on my 95. How come the discrepancy? Is the Courtesy parts diagram for the 95-98 series in error, or is that a California only diagram?

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Be aware that the Max is known for throwing false knock sensor codes. You should replace the O2 sensor, reset the ECU and see what codes come back.

Reply to
JimV

I agree. However, it is worthwhile to point out that if indeed the knock sensor is bad, it alone will not set the CEL - so you may want to check for codes even if the light is not set after a week or so and see if the knock sensor code has been stored.

Cheers. Nirav

96 Max GLE, 117k

JimV wrote:

Reply to