CHANGING A STARTER

I am in the middle of the job...I bought this (nice??) OE Valeo starter for it....

The top starter bolt (nearest the front of the car) is just killing me, stopped the whole job. I can get a 17 mil box end on it and cannot get the leverage to break it. I had to take off so much stuff, my head is spinning...The air cleaner empire, moved the transmission dipstick out, the little 1/4 inch steel hose. a radiator hose....just to get the boxend on there.

My standard Craftsman socket and driver wont fit in there, and there is of course the cast coolant tube running along the top? It is a good thing I love this car, otherwise I would head back to relying on my aircooled vdub...

does anyone know any tricks? It is an access nightmare, and I feel so inadequate!

1000 thanks,

adam

Reply to
1adam12

Changing a starter is a 20min job on a Max. I can't imagine why you're having problems. Maybe a 17MM flex socket and a long extention?

Reply to
JimV

JimV - that one bolt is really tight.

To the OP:

Get a breaker bar (1/2") and 17mm socket. I don't remember having any problems making a socket/rachet to fit down there - especially with the intake snorkel, etc. removed.

Just get more leverage - a pipe over a wrench, etc.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 129k
Reply to
njmodi

I find that hammering on the wrench instead of a consistent pressure does a nice job of breaking stuck bolts free. Best of luck.

Reply to
Hazey

Motorvate is your firned:)

He's got a wonderful site on his 95 Maxima and all the DIY, dynoing etc he's done on his max. That's the link to his starter maintenance section. I followed it and lubed my starter in like 30 minutes. Your issue should take about the same time.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

CD.....What manfac. of lube did you use? I plan on doing my starter this weekend. Any particular brand of grease?

Paul

Reply to
flansp78

I used lithium grease. Worked like a charm.

CD

Reply to
Codifus