check engine light saga

Hello, I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE with approximately 75,000 miles on it. The check engine light on my dashboard is illuminated. I took my car to a mechanic who ran a diagnostic test. The test said that the problem is a loose gas cap. I purchased a new gas cap and the mechanic reset the onboard diagnostics computer. A few days later the light came back on. I took the car back to the mechanic and he ran the diagnostics again with the same results. Clearly the problem is not a loose gas cap. I have read that the problem could be a small hole in one of the hoses for the fuel system. I would like to know if the fuel system hoses could be causing this problem and if so, approximately how much it would cost to fix this issue. Are there any other problems that could be causing this to happen? This is a major problem for me because I live in Chicago and need to pass the emissions test or they will suspend my drivers license.

Thanks for the help, Billy

Reply to
Billy Cormic

You really need to tell us the code for us to help you. I would guess it's probably an evap problem. Maybe a sticky purge valve.

Reply to
JimV

unless you used a Genuine Nissan OEM gas cap the light has better than a

95/5 chance of coming on again.

It may help to know what code was stored in the ECM

Reply to
NissTech

Unfortunately, I don't have the code. I just remember them saying it was the one that controls the loose gas cap.

Reply to
Billy Cormic

The error codes are P0440 (EVAP Control System) and P1448 (Manufactuer Specific Code).

Reply to
Billy Cormic