Follow Up 97 Maxima Won't Star - Ignition Switch?

My Maxima hasnt been able to start...this is what ive checked...

Battery is good Batter connections, clean and tight Power going to starter - bench tested and clicks Power going to solenoid Inhibitor relay working - it clicks All fuses and fusible links are good and tight. Engine is not seized

But no power coming from ignition to solenoid? When ignition is turned to start no power going to solenoid!

Do I need a new ignition switch?? Or is there a relay involving the igntion switch?

Reply to
Haris

Most of the newer nissans have an inhibitor relay, replaced a bunch of them on the 300ZX's from 90-96 models.

Reply to
Steve T

Nope an ignition switch is not you problem.

You eluded to the problem in you diagnosis but you forgot to check something very important

Reply to
NissTech

Is it the Inhibitor relay?? DIdnt test the motor of the starter either, but I figured that if power wasnt going to solenoid, then it cant be starter itself... Also thought alarm system - some interuption Also thought maybe Inhibbitor switch?

But you mention that I eluded to it in my diagnosis...

Also - the car randomly after 4days started up... I may be taking it to garage tomorrow... I'd eally appretiate your insight - Please Help!

Reply to
Haris

I'd never assume that. But as you said if no power to going to the trigger wire, it's not going to start.

If it's starting OK now, they aren't going to have much luck either...

Reply to
Steve T

if power is going to the solenoid then you already know the inhibitor relay is working, otherwise you would not be seeing power on the black with yellow striped wire

I pose this question to you and the group.

  1. What are the TWO functions of the solenoid. Yes the solenoid has 2 jobs. .

Reply to
NissTech

The starter solenoid supplies the high current needed to run the starter motor and also provides the mechanical (linear) movement that engages the starter.

Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

Give this man a Gold Star !!!

With that answer, this person should be able to figure out why his Maxima won't start

Reply to
NissTech