Headers

who makes good headers for 95 maxima? wheres a good place to buy them

Reply to
Clayton Swikert

Try forums.maxima.org. Off the top of my head, I know Cattman Performance makes headers...

Reply to
njmodi

stock headers on the 95 maxima have a good flow rate. I suspected a slight exhaust leak on mine and so I bought an inexpensive set on eBay. they were a pain to install but after all the fiddling it turned out ok. the performance gain was hard to tell, but I did get rid of the hiss noise which I think was actually the egr bypass tube not the headers the Y pipe with the cat-converters does restrict flow and if you replace that you will notice a gain in hp ~ 5-10% and gain a MPG if at the same time you eliminate the mid muffler and go with one of those fart can mufflers it will annoy the neighbors and give you negligible hp gains compared to the y pipe. a maxima with headers & y pipe & stock exhaust will have a slight growl and not annoy you at highway speeds this will also let you hear the bass on the radio without having to crank it up.

as for taking off the header the one closest to the firewall I found it handy to take off the intake manifold so that I could reach in from the top easier. I also had to re bend the egr tube in my vise to get it to match up right. the heat shields were a Houdini trick to get out.

expect the car to be out of service for about 3 days... one night to take most of the stuff off & soak the header bolts with JP blaster or some other penetrating oil. the next day to take the headers off & cuss about something or other and realize you forgot a gasket or a bolt and notice the parts store is closed, then the 3rd day to put it back together. Chilton's & Haynes manuals ware less than helpful, other than torque specs.

Reply to
john

LOL I got exhausted (excuse the pun:)) just reading this!

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Reply to
Clayton Swikert

I suppose you could go dual if you want?

I don't remember a whole lot of road clearance issues with a stock 95, but if you have lowered the car you might want to carefully map out the route. I think where the exhaust goes over the rear axel stock exhaust is flattened a bit to allow more clearance a flattened/oval pipe will flow just as well as the round one. cat converters are about $100 each for something decent you should be able to put a good y pipe to a converter that has 1 inlet & 2 outlets that would keep the emissions at a sane level & also allow you to use a dual exhaust. I'm not sure where you could safely place two converters without doing some fancy heat shielding & risk scraping the whole system off on road debris. Tampa should have some good muffler shops that could put it up on a rack and suggest some routing ideas. most shops will not modify the emissions from factory stock...

ask the muffler shop about an x pipe vs a h pipe.. actually in theory the x pipe will flow better than a straight dual exhaust (gas balancing or some such nonsense involving complex numbers & formulas)

"Clayton Swikert" thank you very much, I was look at doing true duel exhaust any thoughts?

Reply to
john