HELP 93 Maxima problem

Im running out of ideas and could use some advice.I have a 93 maxima,

6-cyl, automatic, 140k miles. My problem is that at RANDOM the car will, while accelerating normally, lose power(bog down) and pop out the carburetor. If I increase the throttle it will take off like a bat out of hell. It happens warm or cold (maybe more often warm?) I never get a check engine light (so no codes?) Ive replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap/rotor. Checked with fuel pressure gauge while driving. Soaked engine with a water hose. Ohmed air flow sensor and temp switch. Problem isn't just a miss so I ruled out an injector. Can anyone suggest something else to check/recheck? Thanks!
Reply to
Keith Wickline

It could be a clogged fuel filter. BTW, is this a GXE or SE?

Reply to
Bill G

It is a standard 6-cyl. I will try the filter. Thanks

Reply to
Keith Wickline

Gas filter didnt work. Anyone have any other ideas?

Reply to
Keith Wickline

You seem to be capable of doing a lot of your own mechanical work.. Maybe investing $100 or so on one of the OBD-II tools may help.

Not just the type that reads codes, but the more detailed type is available from a few companies that provide software and a cable to run on your laptop or PDA.

What I've seen are models that do data logging, and allow you to display realtime graphical stuff on different sensors and controls. Maybe you can determine what is happening at the time of the problem and diagnose it from there.

These are the (old) links I happen to have.. the top ones are the more detailed kind, while the bottom ones are mostly simple code readers.

?page=km9040.htm&cart_id=4001770_13865 Having said all this, I have yet to buy one myself :) but I would think they can be pretty valuable tools in the hands of someone capable of using them.

Good Luck! Pat

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Keith Wickl>Gas filter didnt work. Anyone have any other ideas?

Reply to
Pat

You left off my favorite:

But remember, OBD-II only applies to '96 (and some '95) and later models.

Reply to
Dan