help! 97 Maxima problem

My 97 maxima got a Check engine light on, then do a onboard Diagnostic display code 0903. Leave the car overnight, the battery die two days later(did't work on the car). Jump start and check engine light is off. Drive it to recharge and test. Suddenly the ABS, Brake, battery light is on. the light is on when engine go beyond 1500 RPM and is off when idle. Yesterday do the 0903 (translate to P0446 EVAP canister vent value circuit valve fail) procedure as the manual. Today the battery dead again. Should be able to start and drive, but I am concern maybe some short circuit drained the battery. What happend to my car!? Is it just a bad battery or some problem need a overhaul in the circuit loop?

Reply to
augustsea

I think your alternator is failing. The ABS/BRAKE/BATT lights all on indicate low voltage.

Reply to
Jim

Murphy got you, that darn guy.

Cold weather is the hardest thing on batteries. Most of the time batteries just die suddenly as you have experienced. Here in Canada I buy new batteries at Total Battery for my vehicles, and many other things as well. The Nissan fit battery I bought last year for the Maxima was $35.00 dollars cheaper than the dealer, but I got 75 more cranking amps in the same size. A better battery by far. Last time my brake and battery light came on, the system was not charging properly, one of the alternator brushes was worn. The lights would go out above 2000 RPM and after 2 days, never came back on, so it fixed itself.

SO if the battery so dead and not charging, I guess that could explain the lights being on.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

I agree. If you are driving and the symptoms happen, you are really talking about the alternator. You can even disconnect the battery after the car has started and you won't have any problem.

Please check to see if your alternator is among those 97-98 Maxima's that were recalled--just visit your local dealer with a vin number. They will actually install a new alternator!

CW

Reply to
CW

---snip---

Yes, you will have problems if you disconnect the battery while the engine is running. Whenever the engine is revved up, the charging system produces unregulated voltage, which will set DTCs and fry anything that's turned on, like the engine control module.

Reply to
James M. Blaschak

Reply to
augustsea

Let it idle with the headlights on and put a meter across the battery.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
augustsea

Exactly how was it tested? The voltage test with the lights on and engine idling doesn't measure the maximum output of the generator.

You need to find out how many amperes the generator is capable of producing. Get a Sun VAT-40, put the amp probe on the generator output wire (with the arrow pointing away from the generator), connect the big clamps to the battery posts, make sure the ammeter is reading the middle (0-150A, if memory serves) scale, start the engine, increase rpm to

2500, and crank the load knob to the right while watching the voltage and amperage meters. Keep increasing the load until the voltage drops to about 12.2 volts.

On a car like a Maxima, you should get 80 or more amperes before the voltage drops below 12.2 volts, but check the specification to be certain. If you're not within 80 percent of spec, you have a problem. Check the cheap stuff first, like engine ground connections.

Some generators are controlled by the engine control module, and a bad ECM ground can cause the generator to malfunction.

While you have the VAT-40 connected, twist the selector knob and check for A/C pulses, in case the diodes are damaged, usually a result of connecting jumper cable backwards momentarily.

Reply to
James M. Blaschak