Help my confusion - 99 Max PCM, Check Engine Light

The check engine light came on in my 1999 Nissan Maxima. So, I looked in the Haynes repair manual for instructions. The manual states that there is a screw on the PCM that needs to be turned in order for the light to flash the codes. However, on my PCM, in the place where the named screw is supposed to be a sticker states that turning the screw will adjust the engine timing... Why the difference?

Reply to
Ilya S.

Haynes repair manual for instructions. The manual states that there is a screw on the PCM that needs to be turned in order for the light to flash the codes. However, on my PCM, in the place where the named screw is supposed to be a sticker states that turning the screw will adjust the engine timing... Why the difference?

The '99 needs to be read with a scan tool

Reply to
Jim

Haynes repair manual for instructions. The manual states that there is a screw on the PCM that needs to be turned in order for the light to flash the codes. However, on my PCM, in the place where the named screw is supposed to be a sticker states that turning the screw will adjust the engine timing... Why the difference?

Ignore the sticker (remember it saying something similar on my father's '99). Either follow the Haynes instructions are those at the following URL:

Dan

Actually, it doesn't. Only the 5th Gen (2K) and up require an OBD-II scan tool.

Reply to
Dan

Yea, I realized that right after I hit "send". 99 was the last year for reading it with the switch.

Reply to
JimV

I have once done this (use the PCM to diagnose the light) on a 98 Max. On the PCM in that car, the screw had a large metallic head. On my 99, however, this screw is a small plastic screw, similar to ones you find on a circuit board inside your computer. I am sure Nissan put the sticker about the timing there for a reason, and I don't want to screw up my car.

Has anyone actually encountered this before?

Reply to
Ilya S.

Actually, a LOT of 1999 maxima's must be read with a scan tool. They do not have the switch. 1999 in many ways is a hybrid version where many aspects are closer to the 2000 model. This being one of them.

CW

Reply to
CW