Sold my maxima, farewell

hi, I posted on here a few times I was selling my maxima. I just sold it today. was sad to see her drive up the street wiht her new owner. Was
definetly the best car I've ever owned. you may be asking "so why the hell did you get rid of it" well, big reason ws gas mileage (not a speed demon anymore, so have that much horsepower isn't necessary) and getting 22 MPG on average needing premium was a double kick in the balls. I got 13,000 for the car which was 3k more than any dealer would give me.everyone on here has been very helpful with any questions I had through my 2 + years of ownership and I can't thank you enough. I really wish nissan wouldn't have ruined the maxima wiht it's new generaion, or messed up it's line up so bad that it was actually MORE money for me to buy a new altima with what I wanted in it then it was for a new maxima. I really hope they wise up and realize having 2 cars the same size makes no sense. anyway I'm getting off topic, thanks a lot, I hope one day nissan fixes it's problems and I'm back in this group one day
best regards -Slick Nick
I sold my '96 one-owner I30t four months ago. Does this mean I have to leave too?
Actually, I am disgusted with Nissan/Infiniti, and agree that the cars are just not interesting right now. Too many compromises on each and every one of them, that is, just not the right feature mix. I sold mine because it had been significantly wrecked several times, and just didn't get put back together very well, and also I wanted 6 airbags instead of 2.
So, I'm still hanging around on this board, because hopefully, my NEXT car will be a Nissan.

I'm curious as to what you folks are moving on to from the Maxima?
I've driven Nissan's since my first car - a 1973 240Z and currently have a '94 Altima and a '00 Maxima. In between I've owned BMW, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagon and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Every one of them has had issues - some moreso than others - but overall I still feel the Nissans have been tremendous values. My Altima has 165,000 miles on it and has been relatively trouble free for 11 years...it's even still on the original clutch!
As for the Nissan/Infiniti brand - I agree with the product mix issues with the Altima vs. Maxima and don't particulary care for the 6th gen Maxima's styling, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Infiniti. I'm not overly convinced by survey's such as JD Powers, but the Infiniti brand has done quite well there. They also seem to be at the top of the list of brands that hold their value best over time.
Brad
What are you driving now?

Yes, yes it does.

BLASPHEMY !!!! HERESY !!!!! TRAITOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh wait, ... you're right. ;-)
<puts pitchfork and torches back in shed. Tells angry villagers to go home>

The wrecked aspect is reason enough to get rid of any car. I'm looking at replacing my '91 SE, and a few features I definitely want are ABS and a full set of airbags. I like the new style Altimas, and will probably go in that direction. Drove a 2.5, but want to see how the 3.5 feels before I make my decision.
I agree that the Maxima is a car without an identity. The Altima is much more like my older Max than the current Max is.

OK, you can stay.
Bill G '91 SE Auto

Looking at the buyer loyalty of the Maxima (many Maxima owners are repeat owners), it stands that Nissan would graduate the Max up a bit into a bloated, swoopy angular box like the current generation. All the loyal Max owners from the 80's and early 90's are old baby boomers now and they need a luxury boat that's easy to get into and sedate on the outside.
I am NEVER selling my Sheer Silver '03 Max SE Titanium Edition until the current gen of Max is "fixed". I'd really like a two door Altima SE-R if such a thing existed.
Justin Sane wrote:

Well you might have a long wait. Because as long as Carlos Ghosn is controling how Nissan is run things are not going to change for the better.

The Infiniti side is lucky. There's word that a GT-R powered Infiniti could be on the way to the States, for a mere $70K.
Justin Sane wrote:

Well I am keeping my 98se it's been a great auto. I traded my 89se in on a 03Kia Sorento so I won't be buying a Infiniti. Anyway not this year. Did you know that for 2006 the new F1 engine rules will end the high HP.V-10s replacing them with 2.4 L V-8s such a sad thing the F1 just won't be the same.
CardSharking wrote:

You're kidding right? Carlos Ghosn is the man responsible for Nissan turnaround. Nissan probably wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for him. Yes, the Maxima has been taken down a path that many of it's previous buyers don't agree with, but there are still plenty of Maxima's on the road. They may have alienated some buyers, but clearly have found a new market for the car.
Just my $0.02, Nirav

It's become an old lady's car. My 63 year old mother wants one like no other car right now.

She has good taste in cars...
njmodi wrote:

A new market for a downengineered Maxima downengineered in the quality of parts being used. Call Carlos Ghosn the guy who saved Nissan if thats what you think he did. I think he is just another hardnosed cut the costs no matter what it does to the quality of the products guy. So many of them have taken control of other companies they cut the payroll they cut the quality of parts by making their vendors cut their prices. At first it looks great to the bean counters as their operating costs fall. Then the products start failing in service and the buyers get the run around when trying to get them repaired. Just look at the history of Nissans quality since 1998/99 It's gone down!!down!!down!! If this is where Nissans new market is being found count me out of it. Just my .000002.0 worth.

That's definitely NOT the case, if Consumer Reports frequency of repair records is to be believed. The Maxima, along with many other fine cars, is on their recommended buy list. There also aren't many recalls or safety issues with the current generation of Nissans.
All the bitching on this string is purely subjective as the statistics do not bear the complainers out.

Ghosn's THE man. Absolutely. I was looking for a Mustang GT when I test drove a Max, thanks to a response from a local dealer on the internet. I was prepared to hate the thing, but fell in love after driving it for a couple of hours. The car is fast, comfortable, quiet at cruise, and, most importantly, is a ball to drive. The styling's subjective: I've finally decided the car looks good. It looks really good from the rear, and that's the end I frequently show to the local nimrods lumbering along in their SUV's and pick-'em-ups.
My 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 feels like a semi towing a boat anchor, by comparison.

Yeah, I think a lot of us (I have an '03 SE myself) have a hard time getting our heads around the fact that our Maxima exists in the current Nissan product line. Only, it's called an Altima 3.5. Now, ironically, I like the current Altima's interior more than the current Maxima.
Although, according to Nissan news site I visit, http://www.nissannews.com/ (see Jed Connolly keynote speech), the Maxima's interior is going to be "substantially upgraded" for the '07 model year.
Personally, I don't like the current Altima/Maxima interior as much as my '03 Max. They both seem cheaper to me.
I don't usually hang on to cars much past 2 1/2 years, but I've had my '03 going on nearly 3 years now. I've never had a problem with it, and for once there is NOTHING out there from any MFG that is a worthy replacement. Well, there is, but I refuse to spend more than $30k on any car. :)

This is interesting. You'll spend no more than $30K on a car, but you only keep them for 3 years. Why not spend more money and keep it longer? Over a long time period (10-15 years), you're probably spending more money by replacing the "cheaper" every 3 years than if you bought a nicer car and kept it for say, 5 years.
Maybe you've got the money to burn and it's a principle thing. But I'd rather have a nicer car for a long time than a revolving Nissan.
YMMV.
Bill G '91 SE Auto

Well, that's sort of the tack that I (unwittingly) took with this Maxima. My problem was that I *was* buying cheaper cars, such as an Olds Intrigue, VW Jetta, etc., so I'd tire of them sooner (and they wouldn't hold up either).
My problem with spending more than $30k on a car comes from not wanting to be on the hook for such a huge depreciating asset if something awful happened (grave injury, loss of job, etc.). As it is, the 3 yr. warranty on my Max is up this March, and my payments go until Feb. '07. While it's doubtful anything catastrophic will happen to the car in that 11 month period (it only has around 25k miles on it), it makes me nervous. I've thought about an extended warranty, but they're horrifically expensive. If the car had given me me trouble up to this point, I might seriously consider it, but for the money I'd rather put a nice set of Michelin Pilots on it come next year. :)
There's nothing about the 6G Renau..., er, Maxima I mean, that a car crusher can't fix.

much
boat
if
There are very, very few shared parts/people between Renault and Nissan. They are co-designing a new "super fuel efficient" 4 banger, but that's been the first huge alignment in their car businesses.