humming from rear

My 99 GLE is starting to act up now. It has 36K and never a problem before this except for body work. There is an intermittent low pitched humming coming from the rear of the car. Rotors look good but the breaks are low now. Any thoughts? The heat shield was hanging which some one told me may be the cause so I took it off (it was rusting out). I think it might get worse on right turns but maybe my imagination. The sound definitely is present. Barings I think are fine because its not a singing.

Reply to
me 2007

It could be your rear brake(s) is dragging (i.e. the caliper is sticking, or the parking brake cable is binding).

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 129k
Reply to
njmodi

Reply to
me 2007

- worn pads with 36k? Smtg is wrong (pads rubbing) -or- its used for racing.

Does sound follow speed or engine rpm?

If pitch changes with very light hand brake pull, change pads, lubricate calipers: 4points, piston position will change. See

pistons all the wayin before installin new pads.

Reply to
Wiikinki

Reply to
me 2007

Check your tires for wear? It could still be a bearing if the pitch changes or it stops when you go around a corner.

Humming? Maybe it's forgotten the words? (Sorry couldn't resist)

Reply to
PJL

No, the pitch does not change at all. It goes away .... To me that would mean

100% change...

change pads, then piston position will change. Lubricate, calipers: 4points, See

If for some reason the bearing was originally not lubricated, THEN it might be shot. May be felt as wheel is raised. Normally lasts '20yrs 200k'.

Reply to
Wiikinki

I had a humming in a car, that sounded something like a low pitched machine was running. In the end, it turned out to be the differential that required to be rebuilt.

Reply to
JANA