Bouncing speedo - 96 Taco

I recently purchased a 96 4x4 V6 Taco that needs a little TLC to come up to my standards ;-) One of the issues with this truck is that the cruise doesn't hold the speed properly. I think it's directly related to the fact that the speedometer slightly wobbles most of the time a gives a good bounce every once in a while. I've pulled the codes per Chilton's and it came up with "Actual speed dropped 10 mph below target" which points back to the bouncing speedo.

My questions are: a) Is it common for the speedometer cables to need replacing after 145k miles? b) Does the tranny use an externally replaceable gear to drive the speedo cable? (I'm assuming the speedo cable is driven off the output shaft of the tranny.) c) Is there any way to test out any of the components here (gauge cluster w/ speed sensor, speedo cable, cruise ECM).

Thanks, Bard

Reply to
Bard