Ignition Coils on 1999 Maxima

My Maxima started running rough a few days ago and my Check Engine light also came on. I checked the ECU code and it was reporting 0505. I looked this up at

but thedescription came back as "No Failure Recorded/Detected". Thus I reluctantly took it into the dealer due to time and other issues. He claims that a coil is bad based on the code and that all six need to be replaced. I asked why all six and not just the bad one. He stated that all six had to be changed due to Nissan changing the impedance on the coils and all six had to match. Can anyone verify or deny this?

I have had the work done and the car does run great now, but I do not believe the change in impedance line.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

What I've read here suggests that the reason for replacing all six in one operation is because

1) it is not possible to figure out which is the bad coil, and 2) it is arguably worthwhile to replace them all and be done with the issue for good.

I suggest

'ing the subject to read what's alreadybeen discussed.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

The dealer is telling a boldface lie. That is complete bull shit.

For those with misfiring: If I were you, try to find out which coil pack is bad by continuing to drive the car and pulling codes when it occurs. Usually, it will ultimately spit out "misfire, bank#..." Of course, if you don't want to troubleshoot and want to burn money, changing all six will do the trick. You should also swap spark plugs to make sure that is not the cause of the misfiring and listening to each fuel injector to verifiy they are working.

Since you already had the work done, be satisfied that just about all Nissan dealers in the country would have recommended the same thing although it's doubtful they would have given you that particular line. I hope you saved all 6 coil packs in case this should happen again... unlikely if you don't plan on keepin the car for a while though.

CW

Reply to
CW

My dealer is replacing a single coil on mine next week because the code said it was #6. The TSB says to replace the identified coil-not all of them.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Kirstein

I had one coil replaced at 40k miles. And, yes they tried to talk me into replacing them all. I'm at 55k and have had no further problems.

------------------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 9 - Super fast binary usenet leecher for Windows -

berclese