Insurance Question

(Anyone know of an insurance forum or ng?) Here goes:

Is this Collision or Comprehensive?

My car was parked at home and unused for a few days. I live on a hill. When I got up to go to work, I noticed that the rear light panel had a hole in it, with the broken pieces on the ground. It looked like the light panel got poked with someting. There was no bumper damage to the car, so it's obvious that another car/vehicle didn't hit it. I suspect that either a workman (gardner, contractor) bumped a tool or ladder, or the garbage man accidentally swung his can or plastic collection box into the light panel.

The car is a 2001 Impala. The light panel is attached to the lower edge of the trunk lid, and runs the entire distance of the trunk lid. The bumper, of course, protrudes out farther than the light panel that was damaged. If another car would have hit my car, there would be bumper damage, and if a larger, higher bumpered truck would have hit my car, and it's bumper went over my bumper, it would have smashed in the entire trunk, and not left just a hole.

The damage is between $850 and $1100. I have $100 deductible on comprehensive, and $1000 on collision. My (Allstate) agent tells me he contacted claims, and they say this is covered under collision, not comprehensive. This is contrary to everything I've read and experienced in the past with comprehensive coverage. The repair shops also told me this should be covered under comprehensive.

What do you think?

My agent also told me that even if a baseball hit it, it'd be covered under collision unless I had a witness.

Reply to
SusieQ

Should be covered under the 'vandalism" definition of comprehensive,,,

But then again, you have answered your own question - you have Alstate, about the worst customer service and claims paying history in the industry - your in good hands,,untill they sneeze,,LOL

and even if you sue them to get the claim paid, all they will do is dr>(Anyone know of an insurance forum or ng?) Here goes:

Reply to
AZV14

I agree with your agent. Body damage is collision. Comprehensive is theft and fire. At least in this state.

Reply to
JimV

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.cox.net:

I've had home and auto with them for over 20 years, and have four cars with them now. Had 5 until a year ago. I've got all the good driver rates, multiple insureds, etc..etc...I haven't put in a claim in over 10 years, and that one was for hitting my own garage at 3 mph. Cost them $850 up front, but nothing in the long run, because they raised my rates for 3 years, thus, between my deductible and increased premiums, they recovered the exact amount it cost them to pay for the repairs. I did the calculation.

When that happened, I first called my agent to see if my rates would go up if I made a claim. He said no, so I made a claim, and my rates went up. I read him the riot act about this, and all he could say was "sorry". Other than that claim, I haven't made one since 1984.

Enough venting.

Guess I should start hunting for new auto and home insurance. Who are you happy with?

Reply to
SusieQ

Vandalism is clearly comprehensive, and is called out specifically in my policy from Unitrin Direct.

Comprehensive should cover any impact to your car not caused by another car in motion, or your car in motion.

Clearly, if her descripti>SusieQ wrote:

Reply to
AZV14

After that experience,,why did you stay with them,,?

Agents are totally worthless,,,go on the internet and get multiple direct quotes, and take the cheapest one.

If they raise your rates the first year, go on again and take the cheapest rates.

My bet, you will save over 2000 a year doing this,,,with all the cars you have, and the HO insurance.

loyalty buys you nothing from insurance companies, nor does combining home and auto - you can invariably find a cheaper combo.

and to all that are go> snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.cox.net:

Reply to
AZV14

JimV wrote in news:rJ6dnfNKM-grzEDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm in CA.

Not to argue, but fire is body damage, so by your definition, it would be collision?

Vandalism is also body damage, would that be collision in your book?

I have a friend who's covered by Allstate. She had a valet park her car. When she picked it up, it had $3K in body damage, but since there were two valets working at the time, they couldn't pin the blame on either. Since she couldn't find a party to sue, (damage was caused by an unknown party) Allstate fixed it under comprehensive.

At this site,

I found:

"Comprehensive is very similar to collision insurance, the main difference being that comprehensive covers damage caused to your vehicle caused by any unknown party or "act of God"."

'Unknown party' was in bold.

Reply to
SusieQ

Look at your insurance policy to see how "collision" is defined. In my policy, "Collision" is defined as "upset or collision with another object" but excluded from this is "missiles or falling objects, explosion, hail, vandalism, contact with animals..."

So, if a ladder hit my car, it is a collision under my policy, unless a vandal intentionally whacked my car with the ladder. Your policy may say something different.

Look closely to see if you can find any object, even a little rock embedded in the car or near it. Meteorites DO hit things, and if you can show it, you've hit the jackpot. A rural mailbox that was bent by a meteorite recently sold on ebay for $21,000. Not the meteorite -- just the mailbox. If your car was hit, don't fix it, just sell it to a collector and by a Bentley when you get back from Hawaii.

Reply to
jmattis

Should also have mentioned, that your logic as to how your car wasn't hit by another one due to lack of bumper damage, etc, is quite silly and unconvincing. Of course things like ladders stick out of work vehicles all the time, and could have poked into your car.

Your uninsured motorist coverage should handle this damage, if it was a hit-and-run. That would probably be a $250 deductible or so, much more palatable than the $1000 collision deductible. Read your policy and see if you have this coverage. It's probably your best bet to treat this as a hit-and-run, and such events are usually not consided a "claim" against your policy. Call the cops and report it, then call your insurer back and demand coverage!

Reply to
jmattis

Allstate should have covered her claim no questions asked,,my god she has 4 cars and her house with them,and its an $800 claim tops,,,,,????????!!!!!!!!!!

They didnt,,because its their company policy to not cover anything - just look up complaints against insurance companies on the net, or go to the consumer reports web site - worst claims policy of any insurance group,,,,bar none.

Why anyone would have Allstate is beyond comprehension,,,,if you do not want to shop dollars on the net, go with State Farm - decent company, not the cheapest, but also will stand beside you, and pay the dam claims.

snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net wrote:

Reply to
AZV14

I've had my auto with 20th Century (now 21st Century) for about 16 years. They're pretty good to deal with usually. I qualify for discounts like Professional, Good Driver, and until now,* Mature Driver after takinng a little course every 3 years,

  • Had my first injury accident, so that lets me out of Mature Driver
5% for a few years.

However, they did not raise my rates, even though I was at fault, because I have been with them so long, and hadn't even had a fender-bender for over 3 years (actually 5 years).

Sometimes I think about combining insurances (my homeowners is with Hartford), but as you see above, there's some plus value to staying with a company for a long time.

Happy Hunting for a better deal! Don't be too penny-wise...

And one more thing: I don't do business over the phone where money matters are concerned. If you had had it in writing from that agent, I bet he couldn't have screwed you like that.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net wrote in news:1155503003.772645.205380@

75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Oh, please.

Silly? Unconvincing? I think not. I decided to ignore my agent and call claims. I told claims the facts, and they said it was covered under either falling objects, or vandalism, both of which are comprehensive. I explained my silly and unconvincing logic and they didn't even question if it was hit by another vehicle, which would have made the claim fall under collision.

My comprehensive deductible is $100. I'm glad I followed my common sense and logic on this one, and ignored my agent of 20 years. Four cars, one house insured with him, two teen boy drivers, two teen girl drivers, and all I've submitted in 20 years is an $850 claim, for which I ended up paying for between deductible and premium increase for three years.

By the way, Allsnake's definitions of collision and comprehensive are:

Collision "This coverage typically pays for damage to your car as a result of a covered accident with another car?or a covered collision with most anything else (e.g. a tree)."

Comprehensive "Comprehensive Coverage typically covers damage to your insured car not caused by collision (a covered accident with another car). This coverage typically includes, among other things, damage caused by falling objects, fire, theft and vandalism, explosion, earthquake and more."

Of course things like ladders stick out of work

I know my policy. I have uninsured motorists.

It's probably your best bet to treat

I'd be lying if I reported it as hit and run.

Reply to
SusieQ

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.cox.net:

Thank you for that!

That's what everyone keeps telling me, but I've built up renewal, multiple car, house ins, good student driver, and good driver discounts with them. When I've called other companies, they don't like that I have three teen drivers, and want a premium for that. For me, the price isn't bad.

if you do

I had State Farm over 20 years ago. I may check them out again.

Reply to
SusieQ

Like I said,,,,

Agents are useless,,go with the cheapest reputable on line insurance company you can find,,,

You do not owe some moron agent a living,,,,

and good for you for standing up for your rites. Note that your 'agent' of 20 years couldnt have given a dam about you.

SusieQ wrote:

Reply to
AZV14