It's a miracle?

I was following the articles concerning the SES that came on at approx. 47K on a Maxima, in which the original writer was upset that the Nissan dealership charged him $140 to reset his ECU unit. I have an '00 Maxima in which my SES light came on at 47.4K miles with no obvious change in the car's performance. After two weeks of procrastination, I decided to get the SES code by following the procedure of an earlier article. Although the ECU module was where it was supposed to be, there was no adj. screw to get the SES to pulse in order to read the code. Apparently that procedure was for earlier Maxima models. A few days ago, my SES light went off when I started the car? I wonder if the problem has corrected itself ( a miracle) or something else is going on.

Thanks, Shelly L.

Reply to
Sheldon Lieberman

After a certain number of starts after a check engine light is triggered (and the problem has not arisen again), it will shut itself off.

You can pick up a cheap OBDII scanner on eBay for about $45. It pays for itself and then some after the first time you use it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Here in Memphis, the Autozone parts store chain will supposedly read your code for free.

-- Mike Walsh snipped-for-privacy@email.uophx.edu

Reply to
Michael Walsh

Same here in NYC. They will read the code, but usually tell you to goto the dealer to turn the light off (even though it is a button in every mechanic's OBD computer...).

Reply to
Nick