leaks from transmission gasket

I have a 96 Maxima and found some oil drops on my garage floor. I had a shop checked for me and they told me there was a leak at transmission gasket. I want to save some bucks and try myself for this job. Has any one done this before and is it big job? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
96maxima

Auto or manual transmission? Is this a gasket between housings, or an axle oil seal. I hope it's not the differential axle seal leaking oil on a manual transmission. That usually indicates much worse than just changing a seal or gasket.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

It is auto transmission. I am not sure the exact leakeage location. Are they only two possible locations, a gasket between housings, or an axle oil seal? Thanks. Kevin

Reply to
96maxima

The job is a piece of cake, a little messy but still very easy.

Given you can get the front end of the car in the air a bit

You will need a new gasket ( use a genuine Nissan part)

a little under 5 quarts of Dextron ATF

a gasket scraper

an oil catch pan

a 10mm socket and ratchet , when assembling don't overtighten the bolts, it will cause the gasket to split.

a handfull of shop towels.

Reply to
NissTech