Maxima 2004 3.5 SL

I have a 2004 Maxima 3.5 SL with Continental Tires (P225/55R17 95V CV95).

I have had numerous flats (too much construction in Houston--loose nails) and asked Discount Tire about replacements.

They quoted $176 plus per tire-----for Continental. I checked their Web Site and they had tires in the mid $90 range (Goodyear or Goodrich) with a

70,000 mi. warranty.

Now I understand the more expensive tires can handle 140 mph etc. , but all I want is a decent tire that will handle normal in town and the occasional highway trip.

Interestingly enough, the high priced tires have no mileage warranty.

The salesman indicated that what the factory put on the car was specially designed for the Maxima and that the ones on their web site specifically for the Max wouldn't handle the weight, cornering load, etc etc adnaseum. He also indicated that the tires are specifically tuned to the suspension...etc etc

I looked up the Max's load spec per tire and the cheaper tires had the same load rating. My existing tires have a hi speed rating of 149mph (V rating) and will obviously wear out quicker--as is normal for hi speed tires. Besides, I really don't have anyplace that I need to get to that fast (and be legal).

I am not a cheap skate but something smells about the $176 to $250 per tire price range. Any recommendations?

Digital Doug

Reply to
Digital Doug

I'd check out tire rack

input your car and it will tell you all tires that will fit it as well as reviews and ratings and their prices. you can buy them direct and have a local installer put them on, or you can simply use it as a guage for how much approx tires will cost. I'd say he's trying to sell you the more expensive tire, so I'd go else where. I put yokohama Avid v4's on my car (60,000 treadlife warranty) and it cost 108 per tire. (on a 2001 maxima, with the 17" wheels). hope this helped you.

Reply to
Dr. Nick

suspension...etc

Bullshit meter just went ballistic. He's ripping you off. Go to

get some information on your own, and find a new place to buy tires.

You could probably get by with H rated tires. You won't notice any real difference unless you are on the verge of sliding out of a curve at maximum speed.

BTW, that V rating means the tire will work fine at 149 mph FOR A SUSTAINED PERIOD. Nobody drives that way in real life.

As I said, go somewhere else for tires.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

Individual Discount Tire stores can be real crappers. I'd shop somewhere else if I were you. The Tire Rack, as others have suggested is an excellent place to start.

suspension...etc

Reply to
ihatespam