Hard Starting

My 1990 Max used to start the first click of the key, now it seems like I need to try and start it two or three times before she runs. I recently replaced the gas filter. Any idea why it is getting harder to start?

Reply to
Secret Agentman
  1. If the battery is the original I would replace it otherwise check the water level in it and charge it overnight with a trickle charger at the 2 amp setting.
  2. Test your starter and solenoid. Let a garage do this or buy a copy of Haynes repair manual ( cdn) and do it yourself.
  3. Clean out the inside of the throttle body. It gets gummed up and may be blocking air. See my procedure under the NISSAN category under 'gas pedal sticking'.
  4. When was the last time you changed the sparks plugs, wiring and distributor on that baby?
Reply to
PathfinderHero