New Maxima's Ugly Grille

I waited 14 years to replace my 1990 Maxima - waiting for a style injection which finally came in 2003 (love it or hate it). However, I can't get over that ugly grille with the big chrome center piece and Nissan logo blocking air to the radiator. It sucks!

Question: Are they still making Maximas in Japan? How do the new ones (2003-2004) compare with my 1990 in quality, fit and finish? I was impressed with my old one.

Reply to
Xpditor

Don't see a Maxima, however: Remember that the Japanese don't have Infiniti, either. (Nor do they have Acura or Lexus - those are just American marketing tricks.)

This has their car lineup. I'm thinking that the Skyline looks much like a Maxima. But I don't read kanji character sets, so I can't read much.

Kai

Those Skylines at that site are clearly what we know in the US as the Infinity G35 sedan and the G35 coupe. The new Maxima's have strayed so far from the 3rd Generation Maxima 4DSC, that they are now just another

4 door sedan. The difference between the Max and the Altima are so small that there is no way those two product lines can remain separate very long.

The Infiniti G35 Sedan is the true heir to Nissan's 4 Door Sports Car concept that started with the 3rd generation Maxima.. Which is unfortunate, since I dislike paying the premium they charge for the Infinity logo. Still, the G35 sedan is what I'd buy if I wanted 4 doors and performance - not the new Maxima. (Road and Tracked dissed the new Maxima with the simple, yet accurate phrase: "Maxima, thy name is torque steer.")

--Joe, (proud owner of a 1989 Maxima SE, still go>

Reply to
Joe

Okay, I wasn't sure - and don't read Japanese.

WOW - an '89 with only 185,00 miles? How do you do it?

Kai

Sort of...the closest thing to the current Max is a model called the Teana. Shares a number of visual similarities to the new Max, but there are significant differences in the bodywork. The Teana has a grille similar to the Infiniti M45/Nissan Gloria, the rear fenders have flowing (some might say bulging) shoulders that the Max doesn't, and the cut of the c-pillar is different. Dimensionally, the Max is slightly bigger in almost all dimensions. The link below has a summary of Nissan's Altima derivatives:

nmore

Hmm, your not from the usual crowd of people that think 185,000 miles is a lot, are you? :-) Most of my neighbors are horrified at the thought of driving any car past 40,000 miles or so. And the look I got from one neighbor was priceless when I told her the "new" (and gorgeous)

1993 300ZX I bought last month "only" had 99,000 miles on it! LOL

But to answer your question, the Max has "only" 185,000 miles is because we have other cars in the family fleet: the '96 minivan bought new and now has 140,000 miles, the Max bought used in '92 with 30,000 miles that was my daily driver (round-trip commute to work was only 20 miles), and is now my son's ride (high school), and now the 300ZX for my daily driver. (Also not counting the 240Z that I bought new in '73, and is up on blocks patiently waiting restoration for the last 8 years or so. As soon as I can find the time to start a nuts and bolts up restoration.... It only has 180,000+ miles too! )

Nissan 6 cylinder engines are incredibly reliable. Accessories may wear out, but that engine does not.

--Joe

Reply to
Joe

The 2003 Max is still manufactured in Japan....The new 2004 we get here in NA is manufactured and final assemblly in Smyrna TN..

Stephen Narayan | IASCA Pro Street 1-600 | IASCA Certified Judge 2003 Audio Perfection | snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca No System.....yup that's right. Why not check out my car audio museum :)

Stephen Narayan

Bought a 2004 SE 5 speed automatic in May, 4500 miles now

Build Quality - Almost perfect out of the box, 2 flaws, very minor, a rubber bumper between trunk lid and trunk was missing. They ordered one and it was installed in 30 seconds. An occasional rattle in rear parcel / speaker shelf. Haven't had the time to get it looked at yet, but very minor.

Looks - While you can't argue taste, I am constantly surprised at the number of compliments we get on the looks of the car. Nissan took a gamble on a"rad" look and it seems to have worked, even here in conservative New England.

Great to drive - smooth tenacious and no real sign of the "dreaded torque steer".I guess you have to push really hard to find it. I have owned 6 front wheel drive cars 1 Saab, 1 Pontiac, 1 Mazda, 2 Hondas, and a beloved

92 Max Se 5sp manual, some of these had more evidence of torque steer than the 04 SE (of course except for the 92 Max none of them had near the power of the 04). I often wonder if auto reviewers just read each other's stuff and add a little to show they are working. I remember the rather mediocre reviews on my 92 SE and that turns out to be the best car including (Saabs Volvos and accords we ever owned, till now )
Reply to
Don Sussman

Reply to
Don Sussman

Try racing an '04 with your '90, and you'll easily get over the aesthetics of the grill. I actually had one try last night. I bet that guy is at the dealership now. lol

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

It is a bit, but I often manage about 30+ a year. I've yet to own a car / truck for less than 125K miles.

My '95 Jimmy had 148,000 when I sold it in 2001.

Kai

Gopher tooth. Yuck.

Reply to
Steve Manifold

My 1990 Maxima has 90,000 original miles and is still in glossy, showroom condition except for a little wear on the driver seat cushion where you pivot getting in and out.

It doesn't even have any door dings. Still pristine.

Reply to
Xpditor