New noise when starting

In the past 3 days I have noticed a new noise when the starter motor is engaged. It sounds like a clashing or gnashing of gears. I have a feeling the bendix is not retracting quickly enough when the engine has started and is rubbing on the flywheel for a moment. Is this possible? Is there a spring that can be replaced, or is my starter about to bite the dust?

Regards, rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

john smith

Known issue with this car. Grease inside dries up, makes goofy noise. Will not quit, mostly. Rarely the bendix will hang up on the shaft, then you got a problem. Tap lightly on starter to free it, reportedly this can work.

I drove mine for at least 4 years hearing that "vzzightttt" noise. First occurred only in cold weather, then, years later, on just about every start. Finally paid $200+ for an Nissan/Infiniti starter, and it is real quiet for the last 4 months. Probably wasn't worth doing.

JM

Reply to
JM

Many thanks. I hate the noise, I'll check with my dealer. It made an extremely horrible sound the other day, I shut the engine off, I thought the timing chain had broken, it was such a racket. rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins