Starter grinding noise when starting, after engine catches

We have a 98 Ranger (3.0L) that when it is started when it is cold (only cold), sounds like the Bendix is kinda grinding for 2 seconds or so AFTER the engine starts and you release the key from the start position. it does it almost every time it starts cold. you drive it for 5 minutes, shut it off and restart it and it is quiet. it has been doing this for maybe a year, with no change to the sound nor the duration.

The other day while walking through a parking lot, my wife heard an Explorer while it was starting, and she said it sounded the same way our Ranger sounds.

What is the noise? Is it something which needs to be fixed NOW or i'll be sitting on the side of the road??

Any suggestions? tia, ron

Reply to
r194ondi

Sounds like the solenoid is getting stuck in cold weather.

Reply to
Mikepier

Sometimes the Bendix fails to retract and I suspect that could make that noise. If it was mine I'd yank it out and test it outside of the engine to see if it's retracting properly. Hopefully the flywheel gear is made of harder stuff than the starter gear but I would not want to take a chance on excessive wear, especially from something that's relatively inexpensive to repair but could become very expensive if not taken care of.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks guys--appreciate the thoughts.

i'll pull it this weekend..

Reply to
r194ondi

well one good thing is you will be fine it will not cause your car to stop the only thing that it does is start the car and then the starter no longer used but I would replace the starter soon unless you know how to rebuild it , but if not that is fine just pick up a new starter and then replace it its realy easy to replace.

Reply to
redman28